gamersbureau

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I have:

gigabyte z77x-d3h
sapphire Radeon 6870
intel i5 2500k
Corsair cx 600W

My issue is trying to attach my monitor (VGA) to the graphics card (DVI) using a VGA to DVI adapter, when I do it my monitor doesn't detect anything. it's just on amber light however when I attach it to the motherboard without the adapter it's perfectly fine.

It's a new GPU what's going on?

cream

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
are you connecting your monitor to computer vie the motherboard connection and not the gpu card if so you have not turned off your onboard graphics and then should work ok if so go into your bios and look for on board graphics and turn off then it work or you have not loaded driver on propely unimstall and redo

dassix

Honorable
May 31, 2012
I just had to build a system and use one of the VGA to DVI adapters. I used this particular piece (not that it matters at all).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999201

Just so we can check it off...are you plugging in the PCI-Express connector from the PSU directly to the video card?

Is the GPU properly slotted in the PCI-Express slot?

Also, is there a possibility that you have another system that you could check the GPU on?

What dvi to VGA adapter are you using? make sure it has the four prongs separated by the big flat pin. You can read more about this on wikipedia im terrible at explaining things.

Edit: oh and yes if you can connect via mobo while the GPU is plugged in then go into your bios and force it to use the PCI-E slot instead of integrated graphics.

Look in your motherboard manual for "resetting CMOS".
Attach the monitor cable to the 6870 and reset CMOS according to the manual.
When you have completed the Reset steps boot computer normally and you should have video.

dassix

Honorable
May 31, 2012
1. You could boot up into safe mode.

2. Right click the My Computer Icon and choose the Properties option

3. Navigate to the Advanced tab and look for the Device Manager option

4. Look for Display Adapters and click the ‘+’ option to expand the properties

5. You should find something that may say “Intel Integrated Graphics” or something that says Onboard or Integrated with either your motherboard manufacturer’s name on it. Right click that name and select the properties option

6. Select the Disable tab (do NOT uninstall)

7. Shut down your computer after it has been disabled

8. Once your computer is completely shut down, remove the power cable and all other cables from the back of your case and open up the case, install new video card

9. Boot up normally, then install drivers ect. and you're good to go.

gamersbureau

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
This has actually left me seriously depressed, spent 3 days trying to find out what's wrong still can't.

I've disabled intel onboard graphics.. when I restart the monitor won't even detect the motherboard i had to reset BIOS.

I've tried to change 'Init display first' to "PCI" but it automatically changed back to Auto..

I have this adapter:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999201&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3899435&SID=skim1402X558040X0b5d354a5f9f9a485bed6f3dc591a4fe

Honestly don't know what to do.

we need more info from you.
Did you connect both 6pin PCIE power cables to the video card?
Looking at the back of the case. Are you connecting to the far left DVI port on the card?
Have you completely shut down and reset the CMOS according to you motherboard manual?
Setting motherboard to initiate PEG or PCIE not PCI for display?
Without knowing these things all we can do is guess.

gamersbureau

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

gamersbureau

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Just did it, when i switch to PEG and save BIOS restarted and i checked BIOS again to make sure it was on PEG but it switches back to 'Auto' on it's own..

I disabled the intel graphics but the only thing i achieve is not being able to use my monitor at all. I had to reset BIOS.

any other suggestions ? :(

When you save and exit let it start booting and shut down. connect the monitor cable to the video card then boot up. If it is still connected to the motherboard vga header you will not get a signal.
Also you need to connect to the black or dark DVI connector. The whith connector is dual link DVI connector and does not cary the analog signal for vga.

gamersbureau

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Guys honestly, I believe the graphics card is dead - I ran the GPU without the 6pins (the fan goes hella fast) using only the motherboard, and the fan started to spin = my motherboard can't be the problem.

PSU can't be a problem.

RAM can't be a problem it's detected and in working order.

It's all down to the graphics card sadly.

I'm hoping theres a Fix for this but if there isn't, I'm gonna have to send it off on monday and get an Nvidia graphics card instead.

As stated above you need to use the black or dark colored DVI port, the white is a dual link DVI-I connector and does not carry the analog signal your monitor needs.
The white connector carries 2 digital signals, the black connector carries 1 digital and 1 analog signal.
It wil not work using the white connector.

dassix

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Can you post any pictures of your actual card and connections? The adapter you purchased is the exact same one I have used on the exact same video cards. Need more information.

gamersbureau

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.