Question Graphics Card Help

May 25, 2024
Hi, I'm a first time computer upgrader, and am looking for some help.

I currently have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB. I am looking to upgrade to something a bit newer while not breaking the bank. I'd like to not go above $300, as I don't play any insanely intensive games but would like a bit more performance out of the shooters I play. Not to mention my monitor isn't being fully supported by my current graphics card.

The trouble is, I am pretty intimidated by the amount of information I need to know for a new graphics card. I was looking at the ASUS Dual NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, but am wondering if my computer can handle it. I think space-wise it will fit, but all the hook up and wires are driving me nuts. Here are my computer specs, if anyone has any opinions or warnings I would greatly appreciate it:

Original Purchase: Dell XPS 8930 Desktop Computer

CPU – Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz

GPU – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

RAM – 32 GB

PSU - Dell AC460AM-01 (Total Power 460W Max)

Monitor: Dell / Alienware 25 Gaming Monitor AW2518HF

Thanks in advance.

Dell XPS 8930
even if you could fit a newer RTX 3060 in there
i doubt the included power supply is interchangeable with what you would require.
PSU - Dell AC460AM-01
the majority of 3060s i've seen require a minimum 650w.
though some state as low as 600w.
ASUS Dual NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060...all the hook up and wires are driving me nuts
this card should only require a single 8pin PCIe power cable.

if anyone has any opinions
you would be looking at a new GPU, a new PSU and likely a new case to house them.

if you are really looking for more performance in any current games
and plan on staying with computer gaming for any time into the future;

i would definitely take this as a good time to start on a new custom build and forget the pre-built OEM options out there.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Dell lists all upgrade options for that model:

The nvidia 40XX series is not directly mentioned however it is a ~$300 GPU and a solid step up in performance over your 1060.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mz...force-rtx-4060-8-gb-video-card-zt-d40600h-10m

If you don't play intensive games, it will run them like a dream. Don't set your resolution above 1080p and don't run more intensive games at Ultra settings and you will be fine.

It's true that in some games your CPU will be holding things back but you can only resolve that with a much greater upgrade. A new PC more or less.

The 4060 requires a single 8-pin PCIe connector and i think your Dell PSU doesn't have an 8-pin. You will need an adapter:

Alternatively, you can upgrade your Dell PSU to a new PSU. This will cost about $100 unless you buy something horribly cheap, which i would not recommend.

the majority of 3060s i've seen require a minimum 650w.
though some state as low as 600w.

The 4060 draws 115w normally. Double that number if you're worried about bursts or spikes in power usage and it's still only 230w. 225w is the limit for the GPU anyway.
Add the CPU power draw and whatever else needs power and i still don't see how total draw exceedes 460w.

The 3060 uses more power and is less capable, so the 4060 is a much better choice.

According to this it appears this pc will accept a standard psu.

https://www.dell.com/community/en/c...xps-8930-psu-upgrade/647f80faf4ccf8a8defae0fe

After that I’d probably try to look at an amd rx 6600xt. May not be as fast as a 4060, but a solid upgrade from what you’ve got and then you wouldn’t need to worry about power.

Edit: doing some poking around and found this 6650xt for 220. Should leave plenty of budget for a better psu.

https://www.newegg.com/xfx-rx-665x8dfdy/p/N82E16814150870

Still a bit slower than the 4060, looks like the cheapest 4060 on Newegg is around 293. So you could go that way but would be over budget if you need to add a power supply.

Last edited:
It's funny how dell decides there power supplies on what model. Dell has used that 460 watt power supply all the way back to there XPS 8300 model. 2011-12.

For the most part that 460 watt held up pretty good through with many GPU's the highest was an GTX 1070.

If this was a Dell business class PC you would have a 240 watt piece of crap.
But yeah it's time if your going to be thinking about the newer GPU's new power supply is a must.

In the house we have a Dell Inspiron 5680 I bet It has the same motherboard as your model or darn close. Same specs.

My son put a 1200 monster power supply in it as it's his computer but his power supply sits on the bottom of the case. On yours you have to take into count yours is in a weird position on a swing out hinge so you really need to look for any road blocks if other items are in the way if you have to get a larger size wise.

Some prebuilt PC's are worth working on upgrade like yours and others are getting more pain than gain.