Question Graphics card is not working after turn on and its fans spin maximum accidentally

Jul 21, 2022
Dear forum experts,

My graphics card crashed with black screen and fans got maximum spinning immediately after I press turn-on button. EZ debug led stop at VGA.

My setup:

VGA: Evga Geforce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition Gaming, 11G-P4-2281-Kr, 11GB Gddr6 (3-years used)
Motherboard: MAG B660M MORTAR DDR4 (brand new), I buy a new one replacing for the old one (MSI Z390 A Pro) because I thought the root came from motherboard.
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-12600K Alder Lake Processor (brand new), the old one is Intel Core i9 9900k.
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2666MHz DDR4
PSU: Infinity Rampage 750W – 80 Plus Gold Single Rail (3-years used)
Storage:
  • SSD M.2 Samsung 250G NVME 3500MB/s (Window 10 booting, lasted GPU driver version 516.59) (3-years used)
  • SSD SATA 3 TeamGroup GX2 512GB (Linux x64, Ubuntu 22.04, Latest Legacy GPU version (470.xx series): 470.129.06) (2-years used)
  • HDD Western 1TB BLUE (3-years used)
I just hope my graphics card is not broken and the root may come from other devices. I am looking forward your explanations, possible reason and solution to my issue.

Please give me some advice.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022
Somewhere between psu and gpu. We all want to believe it's not the the more expensive of the 2, but life can be cruel...

Need another psu to test with, or test the gpu in another PC - test at a shop if possible.
Thank you for this reply. I've contacted the shop and they will send another brand new PSU to me in the next day. Could you please recommend some reliable PSU brands ?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Did not get a notification on an update to this thread. It does happen on rare occasions.

Corsair's CV series isn't appropriate for a card of that caliber, but it should still let you get through POST, log in , browse the web - simple stuff.
The Infinity Rampage is a complete unknown; I can't find any info on it. It is most likely a region-exclusive unit too.

Can you get the shop to test the gpu in one of their PCs?

In addition, I also checked how much wattage my PC used. The calculated result is below:

View: https://imgur.com/a/C6ThoQ0

The calculated wattage is 921W. It greater than 750w of the brand new PSU above. Should I need to upgrade the PSU to 1000w ?
That's... quite the exaggeration. They're really trying to upsell you on something you don't need.

Reactions: baticsute
Jul 21, 2022
Did not get a notification on an update to this thread. It does happen on rare occasions.

Corsair's CV series isn't appropriate for a card of that caliber, but it should still let you get through POST, log in , browse the web - simple stuff.
The Infinity Rampage is a complete unknown; I can't find any info on it. It is most likely a region-exclusive unit too.

Can you get the shop to test the gpu in one of their PCs?

That's... quite the exaggeration. They're really trying to upsell you on something you don't need.

Thank for your advice.

I've sent my VGA to the shop for diagnosing. I must face the trust off.
Anyway, I will upgrade the PSU to RM's Corsair series or higher as your recommendation. However, I'm confuse between 850w and 1000w. How do you think which one is good enough ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
However, I'm confuse between 850w and 1000w. How do you think which one is good enough ?
I don't know. I have to rely on psu reviews and tier lists myself.
Oh, and weigh that against the manufacturer recommended wattage; some even tell you what their recommendation is based on.
In there, Nvidia is suggesting 750w with a 10900K. "A lower power rating may work depending on system config." Thing is, cpus don't use much power in games, even a big one like that. Only one game that I know of can even make use of all of that cpu's cores anyway.
Now, some aftermarket cards come with a few% or more factory overclock at the cost of in/significantly higher power consumption and transients... the recommendation might be cutting it close for the really bad ones. And no, there's no way to tell which gpu models handle it well or not.

After all that, I have to use my own judgement.