Graphics Card Makers Rolling Out Radeon RX Vega 56 Graphics Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
All I know is that adds on Tom's pages w/high or any volume are really annoying/suck... Especially, when one loads one after another and another, etc. Advertising is important but spare us the volumetric-delights of it please.

Agente Silva

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
AMD totally craped on his "fanbase". Never had an nVidia card until last year... Bought one 1080 for 4K and after 5 months bought another 1080 for SLI. Running games like butter. No microstutter, 100% compability in games I play or any of the so-called reported problems by the "nay-sayers" xD

The main factor that made me go nVidia was actually power consumption. I knew after choosing to go Pascal that I would SLI in the future and my research showed me that even with a 850W PSU (80+) I could be short on supply.

Had for some years a R9280X crossfire setup for Eyfinity (3 screen). Primarly I had a 750W (80+) that simply couldn´t deliver the necessary powerdraw. Swapped for the 850W mentioned above... One good thing was I literally could turn off room heater during winter in long gaming weekend sessions.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015

Either you're full of it, or your PSU sucked. I was using an OCZ 750W for years with my Crossfire XFX R9 280X setup, with zero issues. Hell, only reason I ended up changing PSUs is because I gave that PSU to my brother for his build, and I got an 850W for the same cost.

Agente Silva

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013

It´s rather unpolite that you build and state your opinion on those terms. I have no need to lie anywhere. Maybe I should detail it was a 7970 GHz edition paired with a PowerColor R9280X. In terms of performance an R9280X was actually a refurbished 7970 but could draw less power a thus making a 750W PSU on the verge of being ok. But these are just crumbles of the main subject. AMD is power hungry, always was, and the argument of FreeSync does not sustain any reason to buy a Vega64. Of course it´s an enthusiast card and probably a >750W PSU is already present in a enthusiast rig. If not, don´t be surprised with shutdowns...

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015

AMD might be power hungry, but 750W is still more than enough for two R9 280Xs, there's just no two ways about that. Running an AMD CPU, for 8 hours a day, with liquid cooling and 11 fans still leaves the PSU requirements at 700W. So if your 750W was struggling, it was either a bad PSU, or you're mistaken about your problem.

And swapping a Vega64 in place of those 280Xs lowers that requirement to 550W. So it's even less of an issue there. Listen, I ain't going to make the claim that AMD is efficient - we both know that isn't true. But to pretend like you need a PSU in excess of 750W for their stuff is patently untrue.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.