[SOLVED] Graphics Card Needs 8-Pin PCI-E but PSU Only has 4 Pin Cables

Slazoq

Commendable
Apr 12, 2020
I am thinking of getting a Nvidia GTX 1660 super and it works on my motherboard and everything, but requires 8 pin cables, and my power supply only has 4 pin cables. Is there any adapter I can use to fix this or do I have to get a new PSU?

Solution
There aren't even 4-pin PCIE cables. You'd be looking at 6 pins or 8 pins (typically the latter in 6+2).

Pretty sure the OP is referring to 4-pin molex.

@Slazoq
If your current power supply doesn't have the required cables for a new graphics card, it wasn't designed to provide that power. I'd recommend a new power supply as well.

-Wolf sends

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There aren't even 4-pin PCIE cables. You'd be looking at 6 pins or 8 pins (typically the latter in 6+2).

If you don't have the proper cables, you need a new PSU. Adapters are a common source of fires and if your PSU is so low-quality that it doesn't have the proper port, you don't want to be using it in any case.

What is the exact power supply? Can give you a more specific answer; this is crucial information that's missing.

Reactions: huss987

Slazoq

Commendable
Apr 12, 2020

If you don't have the proper cables, you need a new PSU. Adapters are a common source of fires and if your PSU is so low-quality that it doesn't have the proper port, you don't want to be using it in any case.

What is the exact power supply? Can give you a more specific answer; this is crucial information that's missing.
The power supply is a EVGA 600GD.

Slazoq

Commendable
Apr 12, 2020
An EVGA 600 GD has two 6+2 pin PCIE cables. Since this is a non-modular power supply, you can't have misplaced them either!
So it does have the correct cables and stuff to connect to a gtx 1660? I'm kinda new at this stuff and haven't installed a new gpu ever. It looked pretty easy, but i couldn't find any ones that would fit in the gpu.

Wolfshadw

Titan
It will look like this:

ANTPCIE-Y01-1.jpg

-Wolf sends