Graphics card not detected but is running (help!)

F_Jones

Reputable
May 3, 2015
I have recently completed (or so I thought) my first PC build, my specs are as follows:
Motherboard: ASUS B85M-G
Graphics card: Nvidia geforce gtx 770 2gb gddr5
Power supply: Corsair CX750M 750 watt
CPU: intel pentium g3220
RAM: 4gb ddr3

I spent the majority of my budget on my graphics card and therefore skimped a bit on the other parts, I did check their compatibility with my GPU and it all checked out OK.
I completed the build about a month ago and since then i have had bad problems with its performance on high spec games (Planetside 2 for example) I soon discovered that my monitor was plugged into my motherboard and not my graphics card, I felt quite stupid and tried to remedy the problem by plugging the graphics card in (via VGA to DVI cable) however when I did this the monitor went blank and stayed in standby, I have tried rebooting and even reinstalling the graphics card but no joy, the fans on the card spin so it is getting power. When I go into Device Manager and look at Display adapters all that appears is the intel HD graphics (on-board graphics) and no mention of my graphics card, is there a way I can check the graphics card is working properly/been registered by my computer? I seriously hope the graphics card isnt broken because I spent alot of money on it, the computer itself starts up fine and works fine when I plug the motherboard into the monitor
can anyone help?

thanks in advance