Question graphics card not drawing power?

HEIKU77

Commendable
Jun 9, 2020
Hello,

Quick story how I got here: I had my PC in shipping and storage for the last year and am now trying to get it working again. I replaced the motherboard yesterday since it wouldn't boot and to me it seemed most likely that this was the culprit as I had a DOA mnotherboard before. It kinda worked and I am now at least able to get boot and use somewhat use it (typing this on the pc in question).

Summary of parts:

CPU: 10700k (overclocked using the AI overclocking function in the bios)
MOBO: Strix z590 e-gaming (had to get this since a replacement z490 wasn't available in my location)
AIO: Kraken z63
RAM: G.skill 2x8GB
GPU: Strix 2070S OC
PSU: Corsair RM750X

After putting it back together yesterday, I was able to boot, do a fresh windows install, update all the drivers and download some games overnight . Today I finally, after more than a year, wanted to game a bit and now the graphics card isn't working properly, hence the post in this forum. The GPU clock seems to be stuck at 300MHz and it's not drawing any (!?) power. But it kind of is cause I can use the web and basic windows things. Just games that used to run at 100+ fps now run at 15-20 fps.

Below some pictures from gpu-z

Capture3.jpg
Capture1.jpg
Capture2.jpg

I checked online and people recommend to try older drivers-and/or take out the card. Alternatively clean it a bit and install it again or flip the BIOS switch (mine has 2) and pray. Tried all of that but nothing worked.

I am not very knowledgeable with PCs and don't know what to do next. My the logical step for me would be to replace the PSU as it doesn't seem to get power and people already said that I might not be able to boot because of a defect PSU (no boot issue fresh from storage). GPU's are also rather expensive at the moment, at least compared to PSU's and I'd rather not spend MSRP + X if I am actually ok with the performance of my current GPU when it works.

Before I go and replace more parts, I thought I'd ask if there is another solution...

Thanks in advance and apologies for the long post...

PS - yes, the monitor is plugged into the GPU and not the integrated graphics... :)

HEIKU77

Commendable
Jun 9, 2020
GPU-Z says its running x8 - by any chance you installed GPU in second (middle) slot instead of top one? If not, any add on cards installed? M.2 PCIe drives? (how many, where connected)
Hi,

Was actually looking at my manual about the same thing but then I ran into words I don't understand and quit (bifurcation specifically). I think I best answer this with 2 pictures from the manual.

Capture4.jpg
Capture5.jpg

GPU installed in slot 1 (blue number/highlighted yellow). Red numbers are the m.2 drives. M.2_1 only works with pci 4.0 so I installed one m.2 in slot 2 (m.2_2 in the manual). My m.2 seems to be working as it's the boot drive... I have another ssd for data

Should I try switching to slot 3 or 4?

Thanks!

Last edited:
ran into words I don't understand and quit (bifurcation specifically)
Bifurcation means spreading PCI lanes from CPU between devices like M.2 drives and GPU. However it only matters if all those devices are directly connected to x16 slots which is not a case here (as your M.2 is connected to M.2 slot)
M.2_1 only works with pci 4.0
More accurately M.2_1 works only with 11th gen CPU. Type of drive does not matter.
Should I try switching to slot 3 or 4?
Nope, it is good.

Ok, so you have it all connected as it should. Might be a problem with PCIe slot or PSU then. For a test, move your GPU to the second slot. Also use another monitoring app to make sure GPU-Z is not lying here.

Reactions: HEIKU77

HEIKU77

Commendable
Jun 9, 2020
Hello,

managed to try your recommendation and moved it the second slot. Showed me it was running at 4x with GPU clock still stuck at 300MHz and no power draw readings - unfortunately no screenshot. Also tried the next best monitoring app I had installed (nzxt cam) and also showed gpu clock at 300mhz...

Will try to change the cable from the PSU for now. Maybe the cable is broken... If, not what do you recommend next? A new PSU next?

Thanks again :)

Edit:

checked the bios CPU PCIE Configuration Mode and found this:

IMG-1248.jpg
IMG-1249.jpg

by default it's set the first one (PCIEX16_1 + PCIE16_2) but then does not recognize the boot drive in slot M.2.2 and I only get into the bios. When I set it to the setting highlighted in the second picture it boots up... Don't know if that has in impact and if I should try another M.2 slot (3 or 4) or if this does not effect anything...

Last edited:
Also tried the next best monitoring app I had installed (nzxt cam) and also showed gpu clock at 300mhz...
So not just a bad software reading.
managed to try your recommendation and moved it the second slot. Showed me it was running at 4x with GPU clock still stuck at 300MHz and no power draw readings - unfortunately no screenshot.
So it does not look like motherboard problem.
by default it's set the first one (PCIEX16_1 + PCIE16_2) but then does not recognize the boot drive in slot M.2.2 and I only get into the bios. When I set it to the setting highlighted in the second picture it boots up... Don't know if that has in impact and if I should try another M.2 slot (3 or 4) or if this does not effect anything...
That's ok, no need to move the drive.
Will try to change the cable from the PSU for now. Maybe the cable is broken... If, not what do you recommend next? A new PSU next?
Well it looks like GPU failure at this point. Note that even if PSU would not deliver power via PCIe cables GPU should still be able to draw a couple of watts from the slot itself - and GPU-Z shows zero at the slot too. Can you try the GPU at another PC?

Reactions: HEIKU77

HEIKU77

Commendable
Jun 9, 2020
So not just a bad software reading.

So it does not look like motherboard problem.

That's ok, no need to move the drive.

Well it looks like GPU failure at this point. Note that even if PSU would not deliver power via PCIe cables GPU should still be able to draw a couple of watts from the slot itself - and GPU-Z shows zero at the slot too. Can you try the GPU at another PC?

Hi,

yes, I was planning to take the gpu to the office on Monday and ask our IT guy (he’s a network person as per himself and doesnt know too much about hardware 🤷‍♂️) if we have a spare pc where we can just plug it. If not, i’ll look for a store that’ll test it for me - i live in rural vietnam so not the easiest task…

Have on the side already looked at new gpu’s and psu’s since I think my 750W wont be good enough if i upgrade to 30’s series. I’m specifically looking at a strix 3080 10gb as I’d want to futureproof the build if i need to invest in a new gpu. 3070 &3070ti don’t seem to be enough of an upgrade for the price, a 3080 12gb & 3080ti just marginally better than the 3080 10gb so also not the best value and general 3090 pricing is just dumb… Just a shame having to do it now with the 40’ series likely coming later this year but my monitor is ‘only’ 1440p/144hz and a 40’ card would probs be overkill and not available for a few months anyway…

Reactions: DRagor

HEIKU77

Commendable
Jun 9, 2020
Hi,

Sorry, been busy at work but wanted to post a quick (and late) update - gpu ended up doing the same in another system and I resorted to ordering a new gpu and psu. So besides cpu and ram I basically have a new system 😢

Praying that’ll sort things out! Will report back

Reactions: DRagor