Graphics card not working.

Hbeynon

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
Hi

Just build myself a gaming pc, and already installed the OS. Then my graphics card came and I installed it and hooked my monitor up to it, but once I powered up the pc, the monitor says no signal. Could someone else please help me? Btw the graphics card is a MSI GTX 970

Solution
If PCI-E was already set to primary display driver, it should be good to go. Since nothing is coming up, RMA the card.

If you have another PCI-E GPU to test, you can make sure it isn't the PCI-E slot on the mother board.

Hbeynon

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
The GPU is installed correctly, the light is on for it, and the fans are spinning. The power is connected, and the monitor was still on hdmi from when I was using on board graphics.

cowboydude99

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Just some other suggestions:
1. Reseat the card. Make sure when you push the GPU into the PCI-E slot, it clicks. Look at the pins. If you can see them, the card isn't all the way in. Sometimes part of the card goes in right and the other might not.

2. If it still doesn't do anything on screen, double-check the monitor's input.

3. If you still get nothing, did the computer beep once? That is a sign that everything passed the power on self test (POST). If you do not hear a beep, it could be a faulty GPU.

4. Double-check the power connections to the card. Make sure the power is pushed all the way in. Some cards you need to push a little harder because the connector is too tight. Just be careful not to damage anything.

JamesHeller

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

switch between connections
try changing the wire

Hbeynon

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
I've tried it with both hdmi or dvi, and neither worked. I just tried installing the card in another pcie slot and it's still the same. The card clicked when I pushed it in, same for the power cables.

The pc doesn't beep when turned on, but it hasn't in the past before installed the card

JamesHeller

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

I guess its a faulty card

Hbeynon

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
The motherboard is a asrock z97 extreme4. Not sure how you check whether pcie slots are enabled, though the primary display adapter was set to pcie instead of on board.

cowboydude99

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
If PCI-E was already set to primary display driver, it should be good to go. Since nothing is coming up, RMA the card.

If you have another PCI-E GPU to test, you can make sure it isn't the PCI-E slot on the mother board.

Solution