Graphics Card Not Wroking Due to Win10 update

Lasplaner

Reputable
May 11, 2015
So here is the story; a few days ago, I updated and shut down my computer. Little did I know, this update required some new drivers, and has led me down a track of dilemmas. Initially, I noticed that my External HDD was not working, and so I tried to get drivers etc. Only the USB 2.0 worked, so I just used those ports, and I thought that was the end of it. The following day, the PC logged on with a black screen and a cursor. The cursor was functional, but after waiting an hour, there was still no login screen. I searched this up, and many people suggested to click WIN+P to select the "extend" option in the projection panel; and I had to do all this, staring at a blank screen, hoping for the best, and it worked after a while.

Now here is the dilemma that I have not been able to solve: The graphics card is now not functioning, I am not able to change the screen resolution for the monitors it is hooked too, and I am relying on my Intel HD 4600 graphics, which is sort of trash, considering I have my GTX 980 as an alternative. When I go into the Device Manager, the GTX 980 is showing the little exclamation mark, which usually means I have to get drivers for it. After multiple attempts, it didn't work, and the Device Panel in the properties for the 980 shows the error: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported errors (Code 43). I searched for solutions, and they were all suggesting to reinstall drivers, or something along those lines; things I have already tried.

I really don't want to explain my attempts so far, as they have been long, boring, and they probably have not fixed the problem in any way. I need to use this computer, and my multiple, failed, attempts have costed me a lot of time. Right now, i have to ways of thinking about this. First: it's my system's fault, and that I should get replacements for parts, update something I didn't know of etc. Secondly: it's the windows update, introducing these problems, in which I wonder about the lack of support for this problems, as i believe it is more than just me who has updated, and has a GTX 980, or any NVIDIA 900 series graphics card for that matter. It renders an $500+ piece of hardware unusable, which I need to use. Either it's my fault, Microsoft's fault, or NVIDIA's, and as a person experienced in working in these dilemmas, I can understand most, if not only some of the things, but as a perspective of a beginner, the lack of support from both ends has been appalling, and the support, if any, is unviable to them.

Sorry for the negativity, hopefully you can see what I am going through.

-Lasplaner

Solution
Other things to try, a different drive for windows, different cabling, different power cable. It kinda sounds like a corrupt drive, not necessarily from age or anything wrong with the drive. You could take the drive out and run diagnostics on it on another computer. You could create a Linux live disc and run Linux and test stuff. I'm not familiar with Linux, but that would be something to look into, see if your machine will boot into a user environment.
Have you tried a fresh windows install? When windows updates/drivers update they don't always do a good job of cleaning up after themselves, sometimes when the situation is dire, complications from disk degradation/errors in code/errors in transfer/whatnot, don't always get caught in time, also, there are the times when Microsoft releases bum driver updates to stuff, Nvidia has done it too as have all the major hardware vendors. Right now I can't watch video on 9Gag because I updated my video driver, and that was a Nvidia whql latest for my 980Ti, which should handle web pages easy enough, had to turn off hardware acceleration in Chrome, anyways, it happens, did you try it? Also, what's your hardware besides the 980, which version of windows are you running? So many questions...

Lasplaner

Reputable
May 11, 2015
Thanks for the Reply!

Sorry for the lack of information; I thought I entered it in. So here we go...

CPU: i5 4690k
RAM: 16gb HyperX Fury Black
1tb WD Blue
500gb WD Green
GPU: EVGA GTX 980
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z97 Gaming 3
PSU: CX500W

Also, I thought that because I posted it in the WIN 10 section, that you would assume it is, you less you were looking for the exact version. I can't tell you because I'm not at my computer right now.

I hesitate to reinstall Windows, because I have so much stuff on the computer, its such a hassle to backup everything etc.. I'll save it as a last resort, if all others fail.

Other things to try, a different drive for windows, different cabling, different power cable. It kinda sounds like a corrupt drive, not necessarily from age or anything wrong with the drive. You could take the drive out and run diagnostics on it on another computer. You could create a Linux live disc and run Linux and test stuff. I'm not familiar with Linux, but that would be something to look into, see if your machine will boot into a user environment.

Solution