Graphics card or PSU causing Hard rebooting (Kernal error 41)

jordthompson1993

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Hi, I apologise if this is in the wrong place.

So a couple weeks ago I was playing BF1 and suddenly my graphics went blurry and it actually started to hurt my eyes playing the game. I googled this apparently this is a problem some people have had but I have played the game and never had a problem...

Anyway fast forward a couple of days and I am now in the position where if my computer does anything hard, it automatically turns off and reboots. Rainbow six would reboot whenever I unlocked a character and was watching the cinematic. I lowered the graphics setting and everything is fine for awhile until sometimes mid-game it will reboot.
So obviously something is giving out under strain. PUBG starts and then reboots at the main menu...

I am trying to figure out if the Card isn't getting enough power because of a faulty PSU or if my graphics cards day has finally come.

I have updated everything from soundcard drivers to the graphics card driver, even ethernet drivers.

my current specs are:
intel i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
motherboard - Z170A Xpower gaming Titanium edition.
Corsair H55 CPU cooler and about 3 other fans.
32gb RAM
GeForce GTX 780 (unknown bought second hand -could be why...)
Corsair 750w Bronze (less than 3 years old)

here is a link to a GPU-Z report I had running when I opened PUBG

http://

the event logger just mentions kernal 41 and that isn't much help at the moment. Any other logs you need let me know how to do it as that's about my knowledge there.

Thank you

jordthompson1993

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017

So I am assuming the fix is buying a new PSU? would buying one that is over the wattage I need do any damage? I have done the calcs and I apparently only need a 550w.

Yes that is the fix.

The PSU will only supply the power that is needed by the system.

Yeah a good quality 550W PSU is plenty, but a good quality 650W will give you room for upgrades later on.

Look at the Seasonic Focus 550w and 650w or Corsair RMX 550w or 650w.

jordthompson1993

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017

Awesome, I'll order a new one and let you know. in the meantime if unplug my graphics card and use the motherboard that should stop the PSU from circuiting right, as the load will be less?

If you remove the GPU is should help some until the new comes in.

jordthompson1993

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017

So i have bought the Seasonic 650w and have swapped it out with my old corsair one. Motherboard lights up and LEDS are on but when i click power the PSU clicks and nothing happens. The CPU fans do move as if they were quickly powered and then not.

Any ideas?

Update: I just plugged my old unit in that buckles under pressure and my PC starts up fine... I bought a PSU 100w less than my corsair. i went on to a bunch of sites that calculate PC power and they all said my PC would pull 500 max...

You used the cables that came with the new PSU right?

As in you removed all the cables from the old PSU from the system before you installed the new one?

jordthompson1993

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017

Yup, I used all new cables. Even went as far as reading the instructions! I have continued to mess about with it, and when my computer is stripped to the basics it seems to cycle, with it powering starting fans and then clicking off. I unplugged my HDDs and it powered on to Bios no issue. Plugged my boot drive in and it won't start.

I triple checked my power usage and again comes in lower than 650w. I am at a complete loss as to what it could be. I have bought a volt meter and that should arrive this week.