Graphics Card Overheating (AMD Radeon 6800)

Nicholas_101

Prominent
May 31, 2017
Without have anything more than MSI Afterburner and google chrome open my graphics card is sitting at 80C at 87% fan speed. When playing games at low settings it will quickly jump to 90C+ which leads me to either shut off the game and/or my computers shuts down.
I've reinstalled the drivers, cleaned the dust out, etc.
I've had it for four years and have never had a problem with it until now.
Has anyone found a solution to this problem that works short of replacing it?

Solution
If you already took it apart and put on new grease and everything my next guess would be the sink isn't attached correctly. Double check your mounting of the sink and make sure it's correct.

4745454b

Titan
The difference between 87% and 100% isn't going to change much.

How good was your "cleaned the dust out" job? I ask because my Ex and a problem with her 4850 and she swore to me that she cleaned the dust out. But she only blew the fan blades clean. The sink itself was clogged with dust and there was a huge line of dust blocking the fan air from reaching the heatsink. If you only cleaned the blades that's awesome, but probably not good enough. That's an older card so dust build up would be my guess.

Nicholas_101

Prominent
May 31, 2017

I've been running it for 10 minutes at 100% fan speed after trying to run it with a game on and is just sitting at 98C

Nicholas_101

Prominent
May 31, 2017

My cleaning out included taking apart the graphics card and getting every piece of dust out I could see then replacing the thermal compound so I don't think that's the issue.

Lehan123456789

Respectable
Sep 10, 2016

Ouch. I have no idea sorry.