Question Graphics Card Overheating, probably due to maxed clock

Mar 27, 2020
So I have a GTX1060 Max Q on my laptop and I noticed that it gets overheated everytime I play anything on that GPU. I recently got GPU-Z to figure out what the blazes is going on and I noticed that whenever I play a game, no matter how low the GPU load is, the GPU Clock and memory clock are constantly running at max and the temperature spikes up when these two values goes up.

Now I know for a fact that most games I run have very low hardware requirements and shouldn't be causing that much heat. I also never do overclocking because I am pretty noobish and don't want to ruin my PC. I don't know how to fix this issue. Can anybody help?

Last edited:
CPU and GPU normally goes about 50 centigrade, but when I run games, even non-demanding games like Darkest Dungeon or Plague Inc., GPU drags the whole thing up to 90+ (if I remove the temp cap).
Sounds like your laptop is thermal throttling. I suggest opening it up and clean out all the fans and dust inside. Take off the CPU and GPU cooler and clean the thermal paste off and reapply paste. Make sure the heat fins are free of dust as well. That should help with the temps and overall better FPS because you are not throttling.

After that reset the clock speed and voltage to default.

Mar 27, 2020
Sounds like your laptop is thermal throttling. I suggest opening it up and clean out all the fans and dust inside. Take off the CPU and GPU cooler and clean the thermal paste off and reapply paste. Make sure the heat fins are free of dust as well. That should help with the temps and overall better FPS because you are not throttling.

After that reset the clock speed and voltage to default.
I just applied paste and cleaned the fans yesterday but it wasn't quite helping. I know it is thermal throttling because obviously it was getting too hot to touch.

How do I reset the clock speed and voltage? I never did any overclocking and even then, I mostly play low spec games that shouldn't be overheating at all.

Last edited: