Question Graphics card problem

Nov 20, 2020
My configuration:
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M LX R2.0
RAM: 8 gb
CPU: i5 3350p
Graphics card: Gigabyte 1050t
PSU: Chieftec CTG-500-80p

I'm having problem with the system so that it almost every time won't start normaly. So after pressing power button it starts and then beeps are heard which indicates graphic card failure and nothing on the monitor happens. So after that I turn the computer off and open it and than just after turning it on I physicaly push graphics card and fans start to spin and everything works normally. Also while ago I replaced a graphics card radeon 7850 after stopped working from the same configuration. Can someone please answer what could be causing this problem which drives me nuts. Thanks in advance.

tecmo34

Administrator
If you just touched the graphics card and the computer just started working, my guess is you might not have it fully seated in the PCI slot to engage the "lock", kind with the memory modulars. I would try to re-sit your GPU and make sure it isn't loose and screwed into your case.

Also, make sure the six pin PCI cable from your power supply is fully in the card and the PSU. If that is loose, not all the way in, you could be getting a lack of proper power so it won't boot up the GPU.

My configuration:
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M LX R2.0
RAM: 8 gb
CPU: i5 3350p
Graphics card: Gigabyte 1050t
PSU: Chieftec CTG-500-80p

I'm having problem with the system so that it almost every time won't start normaly. So after pressing power button it starts and then beeps are heard which indicates graphic card failure and nothing on the monitor happens. So after that I turn the computer off and open it and than just after turning it on I physicaly push graphics card and fans start to spin and everything works normally. Also while ago I replaced a graphics card radeon 7850 after stopped working from the same configuration. Can someone please answer what could be causing this problem which drives me nuts. Thanks in advance.
Looking at your old parts and the problem you're having it could be a few things. First, make sure GPU is slotted correctly on the motherboard. Second, make sure you have power cable(s) attached securely. If you still have problems I'd narrow it down to the motherboard or the power supply. The Chieftech model you have is very poor quality and would be the first thing I'd replace if it comes to that.

Nov 20, 2020
If you just touched the graphics card and the computer just started working, my guess is you might not have it fully seated in the PCI slot to engage the "lock", kind with the memory modulars. I would try to re-sit your GPU and make sure it isn't loose and screwed into your case.

Also, make sure the six pin PCI cable from your power supply is fully in the card and the PSU. If that is loose, not all the way in, you could be getting a lack of proper power so it won't boot up the GPU.
I can confirm that the graphics card is securily locked into the motherboard. I can also confirm that the card is connected properly to the PSU.

Nov 20, 2020
Looking at your old parts and the problem you're having it could be a few things. First, make sure GPU is slotted correctly on the motherboard. Second, make sure you have power cable(s) attached securely. If you still have problems I'd narrow it down to the motherboard or the power supply. The Chieftech model you have is very poor quality and would be the first thing I'd replace if it comes to that.
This problem lasts for the last six months. So I many times checked that the graphics card is securely placed into the motherboard and that it has power from PSU. Yes I also cast doubt on the motherboard and PSU but am not sure which one it is.

This problem lasts for the last six months. So I many times checked that the graphics card is securely placed into the motherboard and that it has power from PSU. Yes I also cast doubt on the motherboard and PSU but am not sure which one it is.
It doesn't matter if it's the board or PSU. The power supply you have is poor quality and needs to be replaced anyways. You should start there. You may end up replacing the board too but you need a new PSU for sure. You might get lucky and the new PSU fixes the problem.

Reactions: foxianer
Nov 20, 2020
It doesn't matter if it's the board or PSU. The power supply you have is poor quality and needs to be replaced anyways. You should start there. You may end up replacing the board too but you need a new PSU for sure. You might get lucky and the new PSU fixes the problem.
Thanks for the answer. What do you think about the CORSAIR TX Series Modular TX550M Gold 550W PSU? I'm thinking of buying that power supply.

Nov 20, 2020
I installed new PSU Corsair TX550M. Same problem again graphic card turns off randomly, or just PC wont start randomly. But I can always start it by physically pushing GPU against PCI-e slot.
So I replaced next motherboard. cpu and ram. And again GPU is turning off randomly and PC wont start up randomly. But again GPU when pushed against PCI-e slot or pulled out and then put back again start to work normally. So I am totally confused what to do? If someone can help?

Nov 9, 2020
I installed new PSU Corsair TX550M. Same problem again graphic card turns off randomly, or just PC wont start randomly. But I can always start it by physically pushing GPU against PCI-e slot.
So I replaced next motherboard. cpu and ram. And again GPU is turning off randomly and PC wont start up randomly. But again GPU when pushed against PCI-e slot or pulled out and then put back again start to work normally. So I am totally confused what to do? If someone can help?

The only thing I can think of that you havent replaced is the GPU. I work in the IT field and we do the proccess of elimination all the time and it sounds like that is exactly what you did. If you have any friends that would let you borrow their graphics card for an hour I would ask them.