Question Graphics Card Recommendation for Luddite

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I have a basic PC that I assembled myself. I'm not a gamer in any sense. The last video game I played was on an Atari 2600 in the 1980's.

I'm interested in learning to fly (real) helicopters and have downloaded Aerofly FS2. Their FAQ recommends the "new" GeForce GTX 750 Ti Slim. I have no idea when that recommendation was posted to the FAQ or how current that recommendation is.

My machine has an Asus Prime B450M-A motherboard with an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Processor with Radeon Vega 8 Graphics. The CPU has a Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 cooling fan and it's all mounted in a Thermaltake Versa H17 Micro ATX Mini Tower case.

The HD is a SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB, M.2 NVMe Interface (MZ-V7S1T0B/AM) and the memory is 2 x 8GB G.SKILL Aegis 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666.

The power supply is a Corsair CX Series 450 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020101-NA) and the monitor is a ViewSonic VX-3276-2K-MHD VS17090.

Right now, I'm using the onboard video, which I assume will not be adequate for the flight sim program.

Given the above information, I'm looking for a recommendation for a simple, reliable graphics card that would be adequate for this flight sim program and compatible with my system components.

Thanks very much.

Lutfij

Titan
power supply is a Corsair CX Series 450 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020101-NA)
How old is the unit in the build? It's a grey labelled unit, which is a good thing as opposed to the green labelled unit.

You could look into a GTX1050Ti or a GTX1650 or a GTX1660Ti and call it a day.

The reason the GTX750Ti is mentioned in their list is;
A recent tip is the new GeForce GTX 750 Ti Slim. The installation is very simple because the card only needs to be inserted into the slot on the motherboard and screwed on firmly. This card requires no additional power connection or other special power supply. The fan is quiet and the heat generation is very moderate. Running in a test computer (Windows 10) the card creates permanently 80 FPS (Frames Per Second) with “ULTRA” graphics setup . From 30 FPS onwards, the eye will notice the simulation running smoothly.

To avoid people from thinking that the game is overly complex. Sometimes a long list of hardware necessary for XYZ title tends to throw novices to any genre or title. My suggestion stems from the wattage of your PSU and the sort of hardware you have to work with, without needing to swap much out(provided the PSU isn't too old and was only taxed with the APU). The GTX750Ti is many generations old and as such I was stating to go for something that should yet be attainable.

im looking at a comparison, the graphics you have vs what they recommend are quite similar in performance

you could likely find an amd 560 4GB for cheap and have way more than you need.
1050ti would be great as mentioned above, but dont you dare pay 100 for it.

a 1050 would be fine as well, I just have a had time recommending anyone purchase a 2GB card at this point.

Reactions: TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
power supply is a Corsair CX Series 450 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020101-NA)
How old is the unit in the build? It's a grey labelled unit, which is a good thing as opposed to the green labelled unit.

You could look into a GTX1050Ti or a GTX1650 or a GTX1660Ti and call it a day.

The reason the GTX750Ti is mentioned in their list is;
A recent tip is the new GeForce GTX 750 Ti Slim. The installation is very simple because the card only needs to be inserted into the slot on the motherboard and screwed on firmly. This card requires no additional power connection or other special power supply. The fan is quiet and the heat generation is very moderate. Running in a test computer (Windows 10) the card creates permanently 80 FPS (Frames Per Second) with “ULTRA” graphics setup . From 30 FPS onwards, the eye will notice the simulation running smoothly.

To avoid people from thinking that the game is overly complex. Sometimes a long list of hardware necessary for XYZ title tends to throw novices to any genre or title. My suggestion stems from the wattage of your PSU and the sort of hardware you have to work with, without needing to swap much out(provided the PSU isn't too old and was only taxed with the APU). The GTX750Ti is many generations old and as such I was stating to go for something that should yet be attainable.

If by grey vs. green label, you mean the physical paper label that's adhered to the PS; I just pulled the side covers off the case but the way this case is designed, I could barley see the label side of the PS. It appears to be either grey or white label. I purchased the PS in October of 2018.

This might be apples to oranges but I've always assumed the onboard graphics I've been using to be somewhat meager. I base this only on the fact that occasionally, when watching YouTube videos, the screen will blank-out for just a second or so, and then resume. But that could be completely unrelated. I really have no idea.

I really know absolutely nothing about graphics cards, so any specific recommendation is appreciated.

Thanks.

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I did some reading on the Aerofly FS2 forum. They recommend running the program with a VR headset (which I know very little about) and recommend a minimum on a RTX 3060 Ti for VR. They recommend a the HP Reverb G2 headset.

Most of these GPU's are of seemingly huge form factor and have two or three integrated cooling fans. I hope they don't generate much noise. In its current configuration, my PC is virtually silent. It looks like I'll need a larger power supply as well.

I'm also wondering if there will be any fitment issues in this case (Thermaltake Versa H17 Micro ATX Mini Tower)?