Question Graphics card recommendation for older system on a $230 budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxpride

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
Hi,

I have an older system with these specs:

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4,4ghz OC (with vcore at about 1,35v)
Mobo: ROG Maximus V Formula
RAM: 24 GB DDR3 1600mhz/CL9 @ 1,5v
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC@2GB/256bit
Storage: 6 HDDs and 1 Sata SSD
PSU: Corsair 650W TX650M 80 Plus Gold
Case: Antec P280

I'm using this system mostly for audio production, which is not that hardware intensive. I plan on hanging onto it until at least when DDR5 hits the consumer market properly + I have the money to spare for a new high end system. I'd say that would be around 2 to 3 years.

Right now, I'm looking for a GPU upgrade that would basically hold up for 1080p gaming on high/ultra settings until I get the new system. Because of that I'm setting a budget of around $230 for the card.

After a bit of research, my current shortlist is:

(I'm in europe; prices are converted and might not reflect US prices)

- An AMD RX 580/590 @ 8GB vram - this is the most attractive option from a price perspective, but I know these cards suck more power and run at higher temps. Not sure if my PSU (with everything that's plugged in) will handle them.
  • An AMD RX 5500 XT @ 8GB vram - this is slightly better performing than the 580s and 590s, but it costs $56 more at my local retailer. Is it worth the price/performance difference?
  • An Nvidia 1650 Super, which outperforms both of the AMD options, but only comes in variants of 4GB of vram, making me question if it'll run future games properly at higher details.
Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Push the budget ten bucks? You can get a 1660 Super for $240 on newegg with promo code "VGAPCMS4644" according to pcpartpicker. It's a basic msi ventus card but still not bad for the money. If not I would look around the used market or get a 580. The 580 is certainly a very good card for $170, it should play anything at 1080p with your system 60fps or close to it, however I would not count on high/ultra settings in more recent titles or older very GPU heavy titles, depending on if you are okay with it dropping below 60fps.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Z3...-xs-oc-video-card-gtx-1660-super-ventus-xs-oc

Reactions: fauxpride and M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Push the budget ten bucks? You can get a 1660 Super for $240 on newegg with promo code "VGAPCMS4644" according to pcpartpicker. It's a basic msi ventus card but still not bad for the money. If not I would look around the used market or get a 580. The 580 is certainly a very good card for $170, it should play anything at 1080p with your system 60fps or close to it, however I would not count on high/ultra settings in more recent titles or older very GPU heavy titles, depending on if you are okay with it dropping below 60fps.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Z3...-xs-oc-video-card-gtx-1660-super-ventus-xs-oc
I had a 1660 ti and it was a great 1080p card. The 1660 Super has pretty much the same performance so it is a solid choice. You can pick these up on ebay in the sub $200 dollar range, but at $240 new with warranty its a good deal.

Reactions: fauxpride

fauxpride

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
Thanks for the answers. Where I'm at in Europe the prices for a 1660 Super are around $290 while most shops are running promotions for the RX 580 at $190.

Price difference is too high not to seriously consider the RX580 - from what I've seen performance is decent in most benchmarks (it runs most of today's games at ultra 1080p without issues). The games that drop under 60fps are games that weren't necessarily designed to run at that speed anyway, like Red Dead Redemption 2.

The only unknowns are PSU appropriateness and thermals in an already overcrowded case.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Thanks for the answers. Where I'm at in Europe the prices for a 1660 Super are around $290 while most shops are running promotions for the RX 580 at $190.

Price difference is too high not to seriously consider the RX580 - from what I've seen performance is decent in most benchmarks (it runs most of today's games at ultra 1080p without issues). The games that drop under 60fps are games that weren't necessarily designed to run at that speed anyway, like Red Dead Redemption 2.

The only unknowns are PSU appropriateness and thermals in an already overcrowded case.

Your PSU won't have any issues running a 580 or 590. Yes these are more power hungry cards, but a good quality 650w PSU can handle them. At nearly $100 difference in price is hard to argue with. The 590 will be a little slower than the 1660 super, but $100 bucks is $100 bucks.

Reactions: fauxpride

fauxpride

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
Just checked, and it appears I connected my current GPU with a 6pin to molex power adapter. That was some 7 years ago.

The PSU I have is a quality one, and it did came with an 8pin cable. However, moving places twice since I got it I'm not sure if I still have it. I might have the box/cables in storage somewhere, but I'll have to do some digging around and I'm not certain that I'll find them.

Since the RX 580 uses 8pin, the easiest way of doing this is connecting it via an 8pin to 2 x molex adapter (I have two free molexes dangling around in the case). Would that be safe?

LE: Nevermind, apparently I can just buy an 8pin cable :/

Last edited:

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Just checked, and it appears I connected my current GPU with a 6pin to molex power adapter. That was some 7 years ago.

The PSU I have is a quality one, and it did came with an 8pin cable. However, moving places twice since I got it I'm not sure if I still have it. I might have the box/cables in storage somewhere, but I'll have to do some digging around and I'm not certain that I'll find them.

Since the RX 580 uses 8pin, the easiest way of doing this is connecting it via an 8pin to 2 x molex adapter (I have two free molexes dangling around in the case). Would that be safe?

It works just fine, and people do it however, its maybe $15 max for a replacement 8 pin PCIe cable from newegg or amazon depending on where you are in the world.

DSzymborski

Titan

LE: Nevermind, apparently I can just buy an 8pin cable :/

Just get the proper cable. While the PSU is quality, these cheapy little adapters are a great source for the occasional computer fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.