Graphics card replacement

Solution
I wouldn't worry too much about getting the PWR LED connector plugged in at this point. The main one to get right is the power switch which should be into pins 6 and 8 on your motherboard.

For the PWR LED connection, just plug the cable into pins 2 and 4 and leave the extra bit hanging off the end. If the LED doesn't light up once the rest of PC is working then turn it around and leave the other end of the plug hanging and see what happens. It must be a quirk of your case.

Joel98

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Is there a specific one you could recommend?

Joel98

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Asus Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card is my graphics card

Thanks for the recommendations!

I had a thread on here a while ago where they thought I needed more power, but I'm not sure.

jeremymau

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As I said you will want to find a power supply that is gold rated, when it comes to the actual technical aspect of power supplies there is more to it than just wattage. The quality of the components inside (like capacitors, heatsink, transistors and overall design) can make a power supply good or bad. In terms of the best, Seasonic is world renown for their quality, but there are also companies like Super Flower that actually make power supplies for other companies, like EVGA, which is another quality brand...they also make them for several other companies. Corsair is good, but you just need to stay away from their inexpensive models, like the CX..they are poorly built and use cheap components. Their more expensive models are very good. Like the RM line. Here is one that is affordable, yet built well. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/super-flower-golden-green-hx-550w-80-plus-gold-power-supply-black-ca-003-sf.html

If you want to spend time doing some research, you can visit the website jonnyguru.com he has been testing and reviewing power supplies since the 1990's, he takes the power supplies apart, checks the build quality, design, components then he uses high end test equipment and put them through rigorous testing, then he rates them. I wouldn't buy a power supply without visiting that site first, of course, you may not find the power supply you want there because he doesn't waste his time with power supplies that he knows will be inferior.

plywrlw

Admirable
The Antec Truepower Classic is a nice budget PSU. It's gold rated and made by Seasonic. I wouldn't run an R9 380 on a 500W. the main drawback with the TPC is that it isn't modular.

The best budget modular PSU seems to be this http://www.cclonline.com/product/182244/220-GS-0550-V3/Power-Supplies/EVGA-SuperNOVA-550SW-GS-Power-Supply-Unit-80-PLUS-Gold/PSU0897/?siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-wariUEEeOohgTDI1iR7oTQ which is also gold-rated and Seasonic built.

If you're not bothered about having a modular PSU then don't spend the extra money!

Joel98

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

plywrlw

Admirable

It is possible for a non-gold PSU to be pretty darned good too. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=475

Going for gold rated for efficiency is not as crucial either when not on 110V as a Bronze or Silver PSU will still be very efficient at 230V

Joel98

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Ok thanks. I have a semi-modular currently, but I don't know what that is, if I'm honest. My friend completed my build for me as he's more knowledgeable!

jeremymau

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes it will have all the leads you need. Jonnyguru.com gives the SuperFlower Golden Green a very good rating. Voltage ripple is excellent. Above average voltage regulation, Efficient, Good build quality.

plywrlw

Admirable

TPC = 2 x 6+2 PCI-EE-SATA, 6 x SATA 5 x Molex, 1 x Floppy

I think there are actually more connectors available on the 550W PSU's.

The only difference will be that the TPC's ones are not removable and the EVGA ones are.

Joel98

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

ok, nice one. There won't be any size issues or anything will there? Also, should I get this but with a higher W than 550?

jeremymau

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Semi Modular means that the main motherboard power supply (the 24 pin) cable is wired into the power supply, while the rest of the small cables plug into the power supply as needed. If you are not into how your computer looks inside the case (lack of a window) you won't have to worry about modular. Cable ties can fix most loose wires anyway.

jeremymau

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What cpu do you have? Generally if you have a mid range cpu, standard memory, basic components and are only using one video card, you will be fine with a 550 watt power supply. When you start using dual video cards, overclock, have lots of fans and hard drives, then you will need to have a higher wattage power supply (Like 850 watts) if you are going to be using the rx 480, then that is even better since it does not use much power. You will be fine with 550 watts.

plywrlw

Admirable

If you know what case you have I can be more certain about fit but none of the PSU's recommended are bigger than average so you should be fine.

Unless you plan on adding another graphics card in the future for crossfire (which would depend on whether your motherboard even supports it) a good quality 550W (edited from 500W sorry!) should last you at least 5 years.

As the manufacturing process of GPU's improves they get more power efficient not less so the days of 1KW PSU's are hopefully numbered!

Joel98

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor is my CPU

Joel98

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/YtTmP6/thermaltake-case-vl80001w2z is the case I'm using

plywrlw

Admirable

Plenty of room :)

Also, as your CPU can't be overclocked there's not going to be any requirement for more power than the 550W you originally suggested.

Joel98

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Ok, thank you. So https://www.overclockers.co.uk/super-flower-golden-green-hx-550w-80-plus-gold-power-supply-black-ca-003-sf.html# is a good option then?

plywrlw

Admirable

Joel98

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Ok, will go with this site instead then, thanks! Just got to hope this fixes the problem now...

plywrlw

Admirable

Fingers, crossed. Have you been having problems with your R9 380 then?

Joel98

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Yeah. My mate built it back in February, and it worked fine for about a month. Then, the PC wouldn't recognize the graphics card, so I haven't been able to play most of my games.

I had a thread on here a while ago, where the conclusion by many was the power supply issue (not enough W), so I'm hoping!