[SOLVED] Graphics card screw missing does it matter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2021
I reapplied my gpu’s thermal paste and pads and while in the process I lost one of the gpu’s heat sink screws. I don’t know if it’s the missing screw that causing this but now when I turn my pc on
My gpus temp starts to go up really fast and I have to turn it off, yes the fans are running on it.

Solution
Highly depends on the missing screw. If it's one of the 4 surrounding the processor, it's usually a different size to others on the less important pressure points, and definitely different to the shroud and endplate screws. There will also be different length screws, even if the same thread patterns. Most gpus today have somewhere between 20 and 30 individual screws.

General computer screws are most definitely not the same as gpu screws which are almost always size 00 to 1 Philips fine machine thread metric with occasional 5mm(?) hex. General pc screws use a size 2 Philips and have a courser imperial thread or 6/32 machine.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Highly depends on the missing screw. If it's one of the 4 surrounding the processor, it's usually a different size to others on the less important pressure points, and definitely different to the shroud and endplate screws. There will also be different length screws, even if the same thread patterns. Most gpus today have somewhere between 20 and 30 individual screws.

General computer screws are most definitely not the same as gpu screws which are almost always size 00 to 1 Philips fine machine thread metric with occasional 5mm(?) hex. General pc screws use a size 2 Philips and have a courser imperial thread or 6/32 machine.

Last edited:
Solution
May 15, 2021

So I’m not sure what screws it used but I looked up types of screws that the heat sink used for the gpu and i think I found the exact ones they were called M2 M2.5 M3 Springs Screws Phillips Screw with Spring Graphics Card Radiator Bolts M2x6.8mm and. I don’t know of another screw I could use as a replacement.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Screws are cheap enough. If you can't figure out the exact size (and they do need to be the exact size and length and thread) then probably best to order a few that look about right and compare them to the screw that's in the opposite corner from the missing screw. Different vendors, custom pcbs use different screws, so there's almost never a 1-size-fits all kinda deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.