News Graphics Card Shipments in China Down 42% Y-o-Y, Up From December

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
December 2022 shipments while the orange bars show January 2023 .
Graphics card sales are likely shrinking in China for the same reasons they have fallen elsewhere in the world. Crypto Mining with PC GPUs

Ethereum crashed all the way back in early 2022. That's seriously not the reason GPU shipments are down in 2023. Even if it's a YoY comparison, miners have long stopped buying GPU.

People just aren't buying overpriced GPU.

Games like Forspoken and Wild Hearts are unoptimized pieces of garbage.

And Unreal Engine is such a horrible engine for PC, with all the shader compiles causing stuttering. Every PC game using Unreal Engine is a laggy mess, no matter if you have a GT1030 or RTX4090.

Last edited:
Reactions: purple_dragon

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Reality is PC parts and pre-builts are going back to normal, pre-pandemic levels. It is not a drop in sales it is a return to normalcy for the market.

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Ethereum crashed all the way back in early 2022. That's seriously not the reason GPU shipments are down in 2023. Even if it's a YoY comparison, miners have long stopped buying GPU.

People just aren't buying overpriced GPU.

Games like Forspoken and Wild Hearts are unoptimized pieces of garbage.

And Unreal Engine is such a horrible engine for PC, with all the shader compiles causing stuttering. Every PC game using Unreal Engine is a laggy mess, no matter if you have a GT1030 or RTX4090.

I agree that game engines are terribly optimized these days. If they are optimized at all, games before high speed internet had to work out of box but now they just drop day 1 patches and if your lucky six months later the game actually works as it should have from the start. While still needing more polishing.

InvalidError

Titan
Reality is PC parts and pre-builts are going back to normal, pre-pandemic levels. It is not a drop in sales it is a return to normalcy for the market.
It is worse than a "return to normalcy" since everyone who had to do an out-of-cycle upgrade due to COVID will be out of the market for however many years they normally go between upgrades, so you can expect at least 2-3 more years before demand goes back to normal. In the meantime, we can expect more "GPU/GPU/motherboard/etc. sales hit 20+ years low" type stories, especially if prices stay up as much as they have lately.

octavecode

Distinguished
This is a necessary step for the prices to get back to normal.
PC hardware got so expensive over the years so this has to happen.
I guess their mining customers dont need them anymore. bummer
This is all music to my ears , while im still waiting for hardware that doesn't burn my pocket or my room or my electricity bill.

BX4096

Reputable
Aug 9, 2020
Unreal Engine is such a horrible engine for PC, with all the shader compiles causing stuttering. Every PC game using Unreal Engine is a laggy mess, no matter if you have a GT1030 or RTX4090.

We may be playing different titles but I've rarely had any problems with Unreal Engine on my setup. The only issue I recall is texture pop-in in older titles, but that was a rather ubiquitous issue for most big level/open world games back then and not something I recall seeing more recently.

The engine itself is almost a work of art, especially compared to something like Unity, but it's still just a framework for game developers to build upon. So whatever issues you're experiencing are likely the game's developers fault, not the engine's. A tool is only as good as the hands that wield it.

D

Deleted member 14196

Yeah, the unreal engine is awesome. I don’t know what the hate is for. UE has been a staple for decades now.

TRENDING THREADS