[SOLVED] Graphics card stops working at random times!

Jul 23, 2020
Hello!

Ive been having a some what major issue with my “new“ Prebuilt pc. The issue is that my graphics card I just found out has been stoping at random times, like the fans stop blowing my screens turn black and I don’t exactly know what to do, I’m asking for a last resort because my pc still runs but the only issue is my graphics card! Something else to note is that it has nothing to do with drivers or any windows issue because if I reboot the computer it works just as new, it only occurs when I load a game up or if my desk shakes to much usually. What should I do?

Solution
Read my post and see if the issues are similar at all.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/dwm-exe-crashes-causing-black-screen.3629933/

Also, open up "Event Viewer" via your Windows search bar, go to Windows Logs, double click Application, on the right side bar click on Filter Current Log, and make sure only "Error" and "Critical" are checkmarked, you will be looking for a "dwm.exe" error with a timestamp correlating with when the screen went blank and the issue occurred, also open "Problem Reporting" via the same Windows search bar and look for any "Desktop Windows Manager" or "Hardware Error" that you see, that'll tell you if you're facing a similar issue.
Jun 29, 2020

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/dwm-exe-crashes-causing-black-screen.3629933/

Also, open up "Event Viewer" via your Windows search bar, go to Windows Logs, double click Application, on the right side bar click on Filter Current Log, and make sure only "Error" and "Critical" are checkmarked, you will be looking for a "dwm.exe" error with a timestamp correlating with when the screen went blank and the issue occurred, also open "Problem Reporting" via the same Windows search bar and look for any "Desktop Windows Manager" or "Hardware Error" that you see, that'll tell you if you're facing a similar issue.

Solution
Jul 23, 2020

Ok, thank you for the quick response!

Jul 24, 2020
Try firmly pushing in your HDMI cable and wriggling it a little. You may find your GPU is aligned with you case in such a way that you cannot fully plug in your HDMI cable. I found that was the issue with an Asrock B550, RTX 2070 super and Deepcool Matrexx 70 case. To solve the issue I used a dremel to widen the case opening slightly to allow the HDMI cable to plug in fully.
It's working perfectly now and previously had the same symptoms you described. The GPU was simply shutting down due to having no properly connected HDMI or DP cable.

Last edited: