[SOLVED] Graphics Card two 4K Freesync displays.

Nov 17, 2019
I want to build a desktop PC with two 4K monitors. I do not play games - but I do play video and want a responsive, slick, desktop envionment. I'd prefer passively cooled - if that is viable. Linux & Windows compatibility a benefit.

I'm findinging that I get best value from VA monitors with Freesync. I suspect this means I need an AMD rather than NVidea graphics card?

Beyond the requirements... I've no idea what to choose for the best value. I've no idea what specification to look for... or if passively cooled is viable without accepting inadequate performance.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Solution
The reason for the monitors being Freesync is that (pretty-much) I've decided on a pair of Samsung UJ590 monitors. This (and all the competitor monitors I considered) have freesync - and it seems sensible that the most suitable graphics cards would support the technology offered by the monitors.

I am exclusively concerned with the desktop experience - as my disinterest in games means there's little requirement for cutting-edge rendering of virtual reality scenes. Just text, video and pictures - on a desktop - in high resolution, with two 4K monitors. As far as I can tell - while some motherboards support 4K, that's typically for only one monitor.

I'm not adverse to spending on a video card if it avoids putting load on my...
Nov 17, 2019
If you are not into games, why Freesync? Just buy two 100 Hz 4K monitors. You will be fine.

The reason for the monitors being Freesync is that (pretty-much) I've decided on a pair of Samsung UJ590 monitors. This (and all the competitor monitors I considered) have freesync - and it seems sensible that the most suitable graphics cards would support the technology offered by the monitors.

I am exclusively concerned with the desktop experience - as my disinterest in games means there's little requirement for cutting-edge rendering of virtual reality scenes. Just text, video and pictures - on a desktop - in high resolution, with two 4K monitors. As far as I can tell - while some motherboards support 4K, that's typically for only one monitor.

I'm not adverse to spending on a video card if it avoids putting load on my CPU in a "normal" Linux/Windows desktop environment.

Last edited:

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019

I'm not adverse to spending on a video card if it avoids putting load on my CPU in a "normal" Linux/Windows desktop environment.

Freesync or G-Sync you do not need them, they are important in keeping the framerate in line with the capabilities of the computer. For video and desktop you will use a constant frame rate. 60- 75 -100 - 120 or 144 Hz.

But you need a video card with two Display Ports. At least buy a GTX 1660 and check how many Display ports it has.

Solution
Nov 17, 2019
Are you trying to build a completely passively cooled PC?

My objective is a 'great workstation'... Quiet is imporant... but I am also concerned with value-for-money and long-term reliability. My hope was that, these days, a pair of 4K monitors would not demand cutting-edge tech... my mid-range 6 year old laptop will just-about drive a single 4K monitor. My main reason for preferring passive cooling is that (I hope) something that does not require (additional) fans will prove more reliable.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Any graphic card (with two DP ports) is what you need. The problem is two DP ports. And as seems there are some cheap models with it.

https://multimonitorcomputer.com/top-4-best-videocard-for-multiple-monitor-computers.php

About CPU fan, you can buy a silence block, but you may find yourself, playing with CPU speed to make it silent for the latest CPUs. Instead buy the best CPU Fan Noctua NH-D15. It would be very silent when not on load.

James9002uk

Commendable
May 30, 2017
Wading in late in the convo here, firstly the monitors you've suggested are 2x 32"? sure you want two of these vs a 49" superwide for example? - just curious., that way one stand or bracket etc...

Secondly, what do you mean by video? video editing or just video ie YouTube, Netflix only? either way you might want to consider your monitor choice to give you the best colour accurate maybe?...

Nov 17, 2019
Any graphic card (with two DP ports) is what you need. The problem is two DP ports. And as seems there are some cheap models with it.
https://multimonitorcomputer.com/top-4-best-videocard-for-multiple-monitor-computers.php

Yes - but that cheap ~£50 card is a g GTX710 (which is not "at least a GTX 1660" - if the model numbers work as I expect...)

Wading in late in the convo here, firstly the monitors you've suggested are 2x 32"? sure you want two of these vs a 49" superwide for example? - just curious., that way one stand or bracket etc...

I'm not 100% sure I want two 32" monitors - but I am sure I want two 4K monitors of at least 28"... Screen real estate (and its format/framing) is important to me. I don't want a single monitor because that doesn't work with my 'workflow'... I like to work with two large 'main' monitors (typically with two documents/apps open full-screen at the same time -one on each) and sometimes also want a smaller monitor as a dumping ground for minor triva (IM sessions; email; rolling news - etc.) I've tried working with a single huge monitor... it sort-of-works, but I find it far more fiddly. For me, the huge impressive monitors aren't an improvement.

Secondly, what do you mean by video? video editing or just video ie YouTube, Netflix only? either way you might want to consider your monitor choice to give you the best colour accurate maybe?...

I was intensionally vague here. I don't do video production... just consumption. Most of my video is just H264/VP8 streams (like Youtube) - but I don't want to find myself bound to having to use video clients that are optimised for these mainstream publishers. I sometimes use graphics intensive software that falls outside 'mainstream' - but the graphics are visualizations rather than games... so I don't have a need for vast texture-mapping capabilities or other game/VR-centric features. Colour accuracy is a non-issue for me... I've run F-Lux for years and when it turns off "Blue" - I don't even notice. :)

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
"Yes - but that cheap ~£50 card is a g GTX710 (which is not "at least a GTX 1660" - if the model numbers work as I expect...)"

It is my mistake, that I thought 2 Display Ports would not be available in cheap models, yet still, that card also is not enough for you because, it has 1 Display ports,

VisionTek Radeon 7750 SFF 2GB GDDR5 or any other card with 2 Display Ports would be better for you. And they are also not cheap.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
As said above, if you want 4K 60 Hz 10 bpc (without chroma subsampling), you need two DP ports (version 1.2 or higher). The cheapest option I can find for that (without going used/refurb) is an RX 570. https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-570-rx-570p427d6/p/N82E16814150795

With chroma subsampling, I believe one or both of the connectors could be HDMI 2.0 instead. So I think you could use something like this in that case: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9MQDP4?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Last edited:
Reactions: falcon291
Nov 17, 2019
Thanks for the suggestions... I think I need to do a bit more digging.... I'd assumed that 'video card' would be a simple choice... but, it seems, it's less straightforward than I anticipated. At least, now, I've got a sound idea about minimum requirements.