[SOLVED] Graphics card under 100? Or is my CPU a dealbreaker anyway?

Aug 18, 2019
Can someone please recommend a graphics card that is cheap (under 100) that can play games like Doom at medium settings without stuttering? Or is that too cheap for an ok graphics card?

Also, I have a G4500 pentium Processor. Even with a graphics card, does this mean my pc is going to be too slow to play any kind of somewhat modern game? I have 8gb of ram if that helps :)

Thank you for any advice. I would like to have a gaming pc but seems it’s so much cheaper to just buy a console sadly due to the expense of the gpu

Solution
You can only use i5 processors that are from the Skylake (6th gen) or Kaby lake (7th gen), and you can only use the 7th gen CPUs IF your motherboard has a new enough BIOS update to support it. If it doesn't, you will need to update the BIOS first). That means you should look for i5-6400, 6400T, 6500, 6500T, 6600, 6600T, 6600k, 7400, 7400T, 7500, 7500T, 7600, 7600T, 7600k or an i7-6700, 6700k, 7700, 7700T or 7700k.

Much may depend on your motherboard model. It may support only a few, or most, or all, of those processors, so you need to find your motherboard model and check the CPU support list for that board to verify which models it supports before spending time or money trying to obtain one.

Also, buying new is probably not going to...
With only two Skylake cores, you are going to be severely CPU limited in any modern game. Some won't play at all without at least four cores. Those that will, are going to suffer even if they will install and play, on any modern game that is even moderately demanding.

Four cores should be the ABSOLUTE minimum for any current gaming system. Six would be better. Four cores with four hyperthreads is viable as well. I'd recommend that you can upgrade the graphics card and then figure out which games will actually play using only two cores, and then at some point you will want to find a used, or new, Skylake or Kaby lake i5 and upgrade. You can often find them for less than a hundred bucks.

As for the graphics card, you could have a reasonably decent gaming experience with a GTX 1050 or RX 570, for around 130 bucks, that would allow you to play at medium-ish settings on the majority of games at a resolution of 1080p or lower.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Simply not possible within that budget.
-minimum cpu requirement for Doom is a quad core. The G4500 is a dual core. https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/doom/13138
-I would say you're ok on the ram front... but it's only 1 stick, isn't it? If so, this + the dual core cpu is the reason for the stuttering.
-there's more, including the matter of a gpu, but the 2 points above can't be ignored.

You need to save up more. $100 isn't enough to make Doom playable.

Aug 18, 2019
I looked at pc part picker. Seems most i5 processors start at around 200 dollars which is a bit high when I compare to just buying a console. Can you please explain how to read the cpu? They say something like i5-9400F and I don’t understand what that means. Thank you.

Aug 18, 2019
Ok thank you for the straight advice. I think I’ll hold off for now, I have enough money but not really interested in spending that much for now. I can still play Skyrim and half life 2 at high settings so I’ll settle for that :)

You can only use i5 processors that are from the Skylake (6th gen) or Kaby lake (7th gen), and you can only use the 7th gen CPUs IF your motherboard has a new enough BIOS update to support it. If it doesn't, you will need to update the BIOS first). That means you should look for i5-6400, 6400T, 6500, 6500T, 6600, 6600T, 6600k, 7400, 7400T, 7500, 7500T, 7600, 7600T, 7600k or an i7-6700, 6700k, 7700, 7700T or 7700k.

Much may depend on your motherboard model. It may support only a few, or most, or all, of those processors, so you need to find your motherboard model and check the CPU support list for that board to verify which models it supports before spending time or money trying to obtain one.

Also, buying new is probably not going to be worthwhile because all of those processors AND your platform, are about four years old and are no longer manufactured (Except possibly a FEW of the Kaby lake models) so new ones will likely be new old stock that 3rd party sellers have been hoarding in order to gouge needy buyers later on that don't want to spend the full cost of an upgrade, like you.

You can find decent prices on used models if you look only at highly reputable sellers on Ebay or a Craigslist seller willing to show you that the CPU works before you buy it.

For example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Skyl...436111&hash=item1cd8462f01:g:jG4AAOSwmF1dZBTV

Worst case scenario, you have the Ebay guarantee that if they say the product works correctly, it needs to work correctly or they will force them to refund your money. It's an option, not necessarily THAT particular one, but Ebay type sources in general.

Considering the platforms age, it might be worthwhile to simply save a bit and get something newer. You could do much better by spending a bit more.

This would be like 300% better than anything you could do with your system as is, and maybe 40-50% better than anything you could upgrade your current platform TO.

This is the LATEST gen Intel platform.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($144.10 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($78.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $267.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-29 01:38 EDT-0400

Solution