Question Graphics Card undetected in PCIe x16 slot

Dec 19, 2022
Hi, I just completed building my new PC but I can't get my graphics card to work in the main PCIe x16 slot. When I go into the BIOS during startup it always shows up as undetected by the motherboard. This graphics card does work in the two additional PCIe x4 slots I have on my motherboard though. If this matters, the x16 slot is Gen 5 and the x4 slots are Gen 3.

In my hours of debugging, I tried out my old graphics card from my previous PC (nearly a decade old now) and this one does work in the main PCIe x16 slot on the motherboard, along with the two x4 slots. I've attempted everything from resetting the BIOS, updating the BIOS and drivers on my PC to their latest versions, but nothing seems to fix this issue.

I'm assuming this is a problem with either the motherboard or graphics card? Or some type of compatibility issue?

Here are my PC specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1700
Graphics Card: ASRock Taichi X OC Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB
CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AG620 BK
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME
Case: Phanteks Eclipse G360A ATX
Power Supply: Corsair RM750 750 W

Old PC Graphics Card that works in the 16x slot:
Sapphire 100352-3L Radeon HD 7950 3 GB

Any help/advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Dec 19, 2022
when your in the bios update it to the latest bios then change the slot to pci slot x 16 from auto to gen 4 if the option is there.

if your unsure how to do this consult the manual that came with your motherboard

The only options I see in the BIOS are for "CPU PCIe Link Speed" and "PCH PCIe Link Speed". I tried putting both of these on gen 4 but unfortunately it didn't have an impact.

I previously updated my BIOS to the latest version (F22) for my motherboard via Q-Flash so I'm good with that part.

Dec 19, 2022
Looks like it was already set to the pci x 16 slot as the default - so no change there. Thanks for looking into this though.

At this point I'm kind of at my wit's end. I'm considering returning the motherboard and getting one that I know will be compatible with my graphics card.

i would change the motherboard first to either a asus or a asrock both are good vendors gigabyte are known to be a bit touch and go ( stay away from msi they have got worse over the years)

Dec 19, 2022
i would change the motherboard first to either a asus or a asrock both are good vendors gigabyte are known to be a bit touch and go ( stay away from msi they have got worse over the years)

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll look into asus and asrock.

Are you using PCIE riser cable?
Set PCIE x16 slot to gen3 operation mode.

I tried setting to gen3 for those PCIe Link Speed options but that didn't work either.

And nope, I'm not using a PCIe riser cable. I'm working outside of the case while I'm troubleshooting because this graphics card can't fit into anything but the top PCIe slot if the mb is in the case.