Question Graphics Card Upgrade Considerarions

Jan 1, 2023
I am considering upgrading the graphics card in an ASUS desktop built around 2014 to increase the resolution and the number of multiple 1080p displays that can be supported. I am upgrading from an AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series card (1024 MB VRAM, GDDR5 1150 MHz, 1020 MHz core clock) with a AMD FX-8300 4 core CPU. I currently have 2 monitors (1 HDMI and 1 DVI) with a possible 3rd using the native VGA port. I want to be able to support 3 or more 1080 DPI monitors. I am concerned about cost and PCU upgrades.

Thanks

Is this mostly for gaming or for something else?

You do realize that without adapters most modern graphics cards aren't going to support your monitors because most of them don't have VGA or even DVI anymore right? Mostly you'll see HDMI, Displayport and some USB Type C outputs. Some will have DVI but only older series low end cards tend to have any VGA capability anymore.

Not sure what you mean by "native VGA port" since the FX-8300 did not have onboard graphics and could not therefore natively support anything through the motherboard.

Also, your system is pretty old at 8 years. What is the model of your power supply and how long has that been in service? And what country are you in?

Would seem this is not for gaming, with the age of the system, you are likely better off to find something used that would support your needs, but this would be on you to sift through local classifieds and check the GPUs since they vary in features depending on manufacturer. GTX9 series are quite cheap at the moment, which is not so much of an upgrade but rather an easier way to find the ports you are looking for. GTX10 series could be considered as well, although they are more expensive.

as for VGA, yeah... you'd have to go to older cards to get that kind of port, I would just forget about that idea if you are trying to increase resolution/display number.

I am considering upgrading the graphics card in an ASUS desktop built around 2014 to increase the resolution and the number of multiple 1080p displays that can be supported. I am upgrading from an AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series card (1024 MB VRAM, GDDR5 1150 MHz, 1020 MHz core clock) with a AMD FX-8300 4 core CPU. I currently have 2 monitors (1 HDMI and 1 DVI) with a possible 3rd using the native VGA port. I want to be able to support 3 or more 1080 DPI monitors. I am concerned about cost and PCU upgrades.

Thanks
Tbh the system is very old and outdated at this point. I don’t see much point in upgrading a platform that was weak when it launched near 10 years ago

Jan 1, 2023
Is this mostly for gaming or for something else?

You do realize that without adapters most modern graphics cards aren't going to support your monitors because most of them don't have VGA or even DVI anymore right? Mostly you'll see HDMI, Displayport and some USB Type C outputs. Some will have DVI but only older series low end cards tend to have any VGA capability anymore.

Not sure what you mean by "native VGA port" since the FX-8300 did not have onboard graphics and could not therefore natively support anything through the motherboard.

Also, your system is pretty old at 8 years. What is the model of your power supply and how long has that been in service? And what country are you in?
Not for gaming much - work mostly.

I understand about adapters and own a few at this point :)

I have DVI, HDMI, and display port in one slot which I assumed to be provided by the AMD 7700 series graphics card. I also have a DVI port that is labeled 'VGA' in a separate slot so I thought these were 'native' but maybe just part of another card?. I've taken a photo to clarify but can't seem to include in the message (new to this site).

I am in the US.

The power supply is the one that came with the PC so it's been in service for at least 8 years. Is there a way to tell for sure without opening the case?

Thanks for the quick response.

Shawn

Jan 1, 2023

Thanks
Oh and I was mistaken about having a VGA port. Rather it is a DVI port that is labeled 'VGA' so I have 4 ports for display: 1 x HDMI, 2 DVI (one in one slot and one in the other), and one display port.

Jan 1, 2023
Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023

Thanks
Well it depends for what purpose you want to upgrade. Like for video editing stuff you need to pick the best one . And on the other hand for gaming purpose it's not just the graphic card you need to upgrade but also requires to upgrade other parts. In both case it will cost you according to your needs.

The critical component for a graphics card upgrade is the power supply.
You are going to have to open up the case and read the required data plate attached.
To swap a graphics card, you will need to learn how to open up the case to install it.
It would seem that you have more than two graphics outputs on the card.
But some cards will only support two out of all the connectors at the same time.
See if you can attach three monitors to what you have.
That is the simplest and cheapest way to do what you want.
Verify that the new monitor has different input types supported.
Include at least one that matches an unoccupied output on the pc.
A 7770 card normally requires a 6 pin aux psu connector.
If you replace the 7770, there are many cards that will support three concurrent outputs.