[SOLVED] Graphics card upgrade with a EVGA 500w 80+ psu

May 14, 2021
I'm looking to upgrade my current graphics card (specs below). I recently got back into World of Warcraft: Shadowlands after a long time away, and my GPU sadly isn't cutting it anymore. In my search, I've learned how the PSU is important in selecting a compatible upgrade. However, I've also read about a potential bottle-necking issue with the CPU, which I don't really understand. So I thought I'd ask for some help.

I would like to play WoW at 1080p (raiding, dungeons, etc) with better graphics. I'm not looking to play on ultra, but if graphics could be mid-high or more with good fps, that would be nice!

Current set up:
-GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
-PSU: EVGA 500w 80+
-Motherboard: MSI (MS-7850)
-CPU: Intel core i7-4770k (3.5GHz)
-Memory: 8gigs
- No Overclocking

I'm not looking for a GPU that will push the limits of what my set up can handle. Ideally, I'm looking for the highest upgrade I could get without having to worry at all about my internals and power supply, which is 3-4 years old.

Thank you!

Edit: The recommended specifications for WoW is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB. Is that even possible with my older setup? Thanks again!

Last edited:
Solution
1650 super is where I would start if possible
some new AMD cards from the 6600 series are coming soon
i doubt you will find them either

really anything will be better than what you had
May 14, 2021
1650 super is where I would start if possible
some new AMD cards from the 6600 series are coming soon
i doubt you will find them either

really anything will be better than what you had
Thank you so much for your input! Yeah, I play on a potato. Hopefully not for much longer. I'll definitely look into the GTX 1650 Super. There are quite a lot of brands that make it. Do you have any recommendations? From what I've read so far, Asus for a cheaper price but MSI for better quality and build on the GPU. Are there any brands you prefer? Thanks again!

At this point you should take what you can get, it will all be overpriced.
The 1650 or 1650 super does not need much in the way cooling so any model will be fine
No need to call that computer a potato it's more than competent once you upgrade the gpu
Any modern card is going to feel like a mammoth upgrade to you. The 650 you have is brutal.

The 4770 is still a very capable gaming cpu, you can get by with the ram you have, more would be better but not needed for your game choice.

Once you get a new gpu, youll see what I mean

Last edited:

Myst_8362

Prominent
Mar 26, 2021
I’d say go for a 1660 super or 1650 super if you can find one at a reasonable price then upgrade cpu to 9th gen?
(ps. Or just get a 3060 and upgrade cpu later)
land bottleneckimg means one compoment that is holding back another part.
for instance, if you have 1gb of ram and a 3080, your ’bottlinecking‘ the 3080 with 1gb of ram.