Question Graphics card upgrade ?

Apr 30, 2024
I own an HP Pavilion P6620F with a AMD Phenom II X4 820(2.8GHz)64 bit Quad-Core Processor and 16 GB of ram Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics
I want to upgrade to a newer graphics card so I can run stable diffusion which calls for 4 gigabytes of vram.
Can I get someone to recommend one that should work ?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Chances are that anything you throw in with an UEFI VBIOS will throw up a black screen since your motherboard from HP will lack an UEFI BIOS environment. You could drop in a GTX970 but your PSU would lack the power after what I'm assuming a decade or so of being in service.

Reactions: kira-faye
Apr 30, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Chances are that anything you throw in with an UEFI VBIOS will throw up a black screen since your motherboard from HP will lack an UEFI BIOS environment. You could drop in a GTX970 but your PSU would lack the power after what I'm assuming a decade or so of being in service.
Well it is planned for only one function I don't need all the extra bells and wissles to work but having the extra ram will go along way I'll see if I can upgrade the bios also this PC was lightly used for word press

Last edited:

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
It's a dead platform and isn't realistically capable of what you're trying to do. Upgrading anything that old is throwing good money after bad. Performance would be abysmal if it's even able to run a local model at all.

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
Affraid you're better off with an entry level modern PC. Prebuilt or self-assembled.

A GPU would start a chain reaction. You would need a PSU swap as well. Old components can be costly for their level of performance..

Something like this very entry level PC would leave your old machine in the dust, for only about ~$630-650 USD. Less than $500 if you could run without a GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($121.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($37.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Green SN350 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($67.79 @ Amazon)
*** optional Video Card: MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3050 6GB 6 GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks XT PRO ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $631.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-30 23:40 EDT-0400

The downside is that it isn't going to have legs for long. For about ~$1000-1500 you could build a computer to last you a decade, and run very reliably and efficiently.
But for relatively little money, the above is a major upgrade from your current machine. Depending on how much a GPU+PSU upgrade would set you back, it may be worthwhile.

Alternate AMD version:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4600G 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($92.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte A520M S2H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($45.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P3 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
*** optional Video Card: MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3050 6GB 6 GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($49.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $577.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-30 23:50 EDT-0400

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
Affraid you're better off with an entry level modern PC. Prebuilt or self-assembled.

A GPU would start a chain reaction. You would need a PSU swap as well. Old components can be costly for their level of performance..

Something like this very entry level PC would leave your old machine in the dust, for only about ~$630-650 USD. Less than $500 if you could run without a GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($121.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($37.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Green SN350 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($67.79 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks XT PRO ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $631.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-30 23:40 EDT-0400

The downside is that it isn't going to have legs for long. For about ~$1000-1500 you could build a computer to last you a decade, and run very reliably and efficiently.
But for relatively little money, the above is a major upgrade from your current machine. Depending on how much a GPU+PSU upgrade would set you back, it may be worthwhile.

Alternate AMD version:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4600G 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($92.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte A520M S2H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($45.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P3 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($49.99 @ B&H)
Total: $577.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-30 23:50 EDT-0400
The AMD setup is preferable if only because I can't recommend a quad core any more. I'd also strongly recommend going with an Intel 670p or a WD drive over the Crucial P3 - high failure rate on those.

I'd also go with a full size ATX case even if you get a mATX motherboard for cost reasons as the larger case will likely be easier to work in, and if you upgrade in the future and determine you want more drives or cards or whatever you'll have space for a full size board.

Also take the G.Skill over the Corsair RAM - I love most Corsair products, but their Vengeance line is garbage.

Basically, the "Intel" build, with the motherboard and CPU from the "AMD" build is what I recommend at that price point.

If you've got a little more to spend, go with a quality 850w PSU, since that will let you put in a higher end GPU in the future - the 550w is a good unit for the build listed, but once you start upgrading it will need to be replaced.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, the age old argument single thread performance vs multithread performance. i3-12100 has quite a bit more single threaded performance, while the 4600G pulls ahead when all six cores are used.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...-12100-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-4600G-vs-Intel-i3-14100

If you are going for a GPU, which seems mandatory, the i3-14100F with no integrated graphics is currently the same price as the 12100F and comes close to beating out the 4600G with its higher clock speeds.

May also want to look at getting a used RTX3060 12GB rather than a new low end card. There are plenty of them out there and it will make a far better GPU for stable diffusion. (They go for around $200)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Well it is planned for only one function I don't need all the extra bells and wissles to work but having the extra ram will go along way I'll see if I can upgrade the bios also this PC was lightly used for word press
Listen to the folks helping here. Your old rig is way under-powered for your stated use. If you are going to pursue, spend your money on something more suitable for the task.

Good luck.

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
Crucial P3 - high failure rate on those.
I have never heard a word on this. Crucial P3s? They're as safe as houses. Aren't they?
The AMD setup is preferable if only because I can't recommend a quad core any more.
No arguments here. The i3 12100 is a curious CPU though. For a modern intel it has no e cores at all. It's the end of the line of the quad core CPU. And it's pretty boost happy and not the underdog it looks like.

It's no good for heavy workloads but for light workloads or anything a Phenom II X4 820 or i5 3570 could do, it's a strong and cheap choice.
Mostly i picked it because of the extremly low budget. With a bigger budget, i would pick a z690 motherboard and look at a 14700K upgrade down the line, but that isn't something the OP is looking for.

Also, the Vengeance is there only because it's QVL listed. The G.Skill is not.

Last edited:

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
I have never heard a word on this. Crucial P3s? They're as safe as houses. Aren't they?

No arguments here. The i3 12100 is a curious CPU though. For a modern intel it has no e cores at all. It's the end of the line of the quad core CPU. And it's pretty boost happy and not the underdog it looks like.

It's no good for heavy workloads but for light workloads or anything a Phenom II X4 820 or i5 3570 could do, it's a strong and cheap choice.
Mostly i picked it because of the extremly low budget. With a bigger budget, i would pick a z690 motherboard and look at a 14700K upgrade down the line, but that isn't something the OP is looking for.

Also, the Vengeance is there only because it's QVL listed. The G.Skill is not.
Yeah, the P3s die. A lot. Maybe it's only with specific workloads or something, but given there are more reliable and just as performant options for similar money, I wouldn't look at them.

Similarly, Corsair Vengeance is at the root of like 1/3 the "is my RAM bad" threads I see. It's one of those patterns you don't notice till you know to look for it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yeah, the P3s die. A lot. Maybe it's only with specific workloads or something, but given there are more reliable and just as performant options for similar money, I wouldn't look at them.

Similarly, Corsair Vengeance is at the root of like 1/3 the "is my RAM bad" threads I see. It's one of those patterns you don't notice till you know to look for it.
Do you have sources for either of these claims, or just anecdotal observations?

I'm not seeing documented support for either of these, but the internet is a big place.

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
Well, they're old enough to start biting the dust. Maybe that's why?
Do you feel the same way about the P3 Plus line? That's PCIe 4.0, and newer. Almost the same price.

Among the cheaper NVMe, the P3 seems more reliable. WD is fine, too. Some people swear WD is trash. Others won't go near Silicon Power. ADATA is probably best avoided no matter who thinks what.
To me, it seemed Crucial, Samsung and WD were always safe and reliable. Just different in technical details and speed.

Apr 30, 2024
I think I'm going to buy a referbushed pc off Amazon I found one with the specs needed for like 250$ fits my budget well since in low income thankyou for the helpe I was hoping I could breath some life into a old pc I had in my closet it still works well I guess was hoping for way too much :)

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
I think I'm going to buy a referbushed pc off Amazon I found one with the specs needed for like 250$ fits my budget well since in low income thankyou for the helpe I was hoping I could breath some life into a old pc I had in my closet it still works well I guess was hoping for way too much :)
Well, ok. I don't know how well that refurbished PC will work out. Could be decent for many years.
It's just that at $250, you're halfway to a new machine. Warranty and all.

Issue with that box is it won’t support windows 11. So next year you’ll stop getting security updates. That system is about 6-7 years old with flashy lights.

Here’s a better option and cheaper if you are going used. The description says small form factor but it looks like a tower to me, which would be better for adding a budget gpu to.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3260870427...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

May have to add a gpu like this. I would think the Dell psu would handle a 1050ti

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1864164533...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

At least on something like this you aren’t paying extra for an old pc with a bunch of flashy lights that don’t mean much. If you do some looking you might find an i7 model on there too. But you’ll want to make sure it has an 8th generation cpu or newer to support windows 11.

A new system would serve you longer though. But those dells are usually easy to get in and work on. If you needed more ram or ssd space those are cheap to obtain right now.

Apr 30, 2024

If its bad I'll have a better return with Amazon and I don't need to worry about updates because this isnt ment to be a regular use pc chances of being infected are 99.99%since its not ment to be used for regular use :) I alllredy own a windows 11 pc that I regularly use

If you say so. But we’ve got PCs like the one you linked sitting in our data center at work that are just older systems that have been retired that we need to get rid of. We’ll honestly likely end up throwing them away because the age they are, I wouldn’t say they are worth much now. The one you want just basically has new paint, a few cheap led lights and a lower end gpu. But still the same older Dell systems.