[SOLVED] Graphics Card Works but VGA light is on ?

Oct 28, 2021
I have a weird situation with my computer where the VGA light is on but the graphics card works. I have an Geforce 3070 RTX that I tested on another computer to see if the card was defective but the 2nd computer posted without incident. I have also tried the graphics card from the 2nd computer and placed it in my personal computer and it also posted without incident.

One thing that tends to make my personal computer post is if I unplug the 24 pin connector from the motherboard and plug it in a few seconds later. However I have to do this every time I either turn off the computer or put it in sleep mode.
This doesn't always work, the other thing that tends to happen when I try this is that the computer will crash on the BIOS screen.

I am suspecting it is either a bad CPU or bad PSU, but I do not to spend money on a new one until I am sure what the issue is. Does anyone know what may be course of action I should take to resolve this?

Computer Specs:
B550 Aorus Pro Motherboard
750 Watt Corsair PSU
5800x Ryzen 7 CPU
Geforce 3070 RTX GPU
32 GB Vengence 3200 mhz RAM

Last edited:
Solution
However I have to do this every time I either turn off the computer or put it in sleep mode.

Regarding sleep mode, few fixes to try:

* from BIOS, disable CPU C6 and C7 sleep states

* disable Win fast boot:
  1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard, type in Power Options, and then press Enter .
  2. From the left menu, select Choose what the power buttons do.
  3. Under the Shutdown settings section, uncheck the box next to Turn on fast startup (recommended).
  4. Click the Save changes button.
* disable Win hibernation:
  1. Click the magnifying glass icon in the bottom-left corner of your screen. ...
  2. Then type Command Prompt into the search bar.
  3. Next, click Run as administrator.
  4. Then type...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
However I have to do this every time I either turn off the computer or put it in sleep mode.

Regarding sleep mode, few fixes to try:

* from BIOS, disable CPU C6 and C7 sleep states

* disable Win fast boot:
  1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard, type in Power Options, and then press Enter .
  2. From the left menu, select Choose what the power buttons do.
  3. Under the Shutdown settings section, uncheck the box next to Turn on fast startup (recommended).
  4. Click the Save changes button.
* disable Win hibernation:
  1. Click the magnifying glass icon in the bottom-left corner of your screen. ...
  2. Then type Command Prompt into the search bar.
  3. Next, click Run as administrator.
  4. Then type powercfg.exe /hibernate off into the Command Prompt.
  5. Finally, hit Enter on your keyboard.
One of these, or all combined, usually fixes the issue PC not wanting to wake up from sleep.

---

Now, not powering on, is PSU issue. And after you apply your "fix" and get PC to POST and boot into OS, then your CPU is sound. If your CPU would have issues, you won't be able to boot into OS at all.

So, you might want to look towards new PSU.

Btw, which model PSU you have? Corsair offers loads of 750W units, from low to good quality.

Solution