Question Graphics Card?

Apr 30, 2024
GRAPHICS CARD
I’m looking for some advice to upgrade my pc to be the best gaming pc it can. I have an asrock A320M-HDV r4.0 board with 16GB DDR4 ram My processor is Athlon 3000G. And my graphics slot is PCIe3x16
I’m looking at upgrading to at least a Ryzen 7 and want to know which graphics card is best for my system. Can I run a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X card on the upgraded processor with my current other components (also I have a 4TB ssd)

The most cpu I would go on an a320 board is probably the ryzen 7 5700x.

Don’t get the 5800x or 5800x3d. The 5800x runs hot and uses a lot of juice. Your board may not be able to run it effectively. I’m not sure on power use etc of the 5700x3d. The normal 5700x I think is a 65 watt cpu and will bump up under load but theoretically your board should handle it easier than the other ryzen 7 CPUs.

In either case you will want to update your bios. If you go to the manufacturer’s website and find your motherboard, they should have the bios versions in the downloads area.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You need to ensure the proper BIOS is installed on your motherboard BEFORE installing the new CPU.

See here for info: https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/a320m-hdv r4.0/index.asp#CPU

Regarding the PSU, the first link provided has the minimum PSU requirements on it (and why it was shared with you). Look at the board design section.

I would recommend a quality 750w PSU to give you some headroom for future upgrades.

Also, I concur with @ohio_buckeye, a Ryzen 7 5700X is the strongest CPU I would recommend for that motherboard.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Reactions: Bleedin fingers