Graphics cards arent connecting to motherboard

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
Hello people.

Im having a problem with motherboard/graphics cards. I have a GTX 970 and a R7 250. I've tried connection them to my new motherboard and i cant get a signel to my monitor using them. I've tried connection them via HDMi and DVI but neither work. I can only get the IGP to work. Really scared that my cards are dead or something, especially the 970.

When plugging in the cards and turning on the system, the fans do start spinning and the 970's LED turns on too.

I've tried uninstall drivers in windows and running default BIOS settings but i cant figure anything out. I've also tried updating the BIOS but to no change. As well as updating the BIOS, i've also tried a spare PSU.

Specs:
CPU: I5-4690k
GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB
GPU 2 (Spare): MSI R7 250 2GB OC Edition.
MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
RAM: 2x4GB kit Corsair vengeance
Storage: 1TB SSHD Seagate
PSU: EVGA 600B Bronze certified (Heard this is bad, replacement is on the way)
PSU 2 (Spare): Cooler Master 700B v2

Solution
Well, that's usually not the problem anyway. I'm assuming you connected your video cables to the graphics card and not the motherboard, correct? Also, have you tried any different PCIex16 slot?

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

Yeah. I had a good look at the BIOS. I did change somethings regarding PCI-E slots then nothing worked so i changed them back to default.

Could you give me some pointers of what to look for while i go poking inside the BIOS again.

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
Yeah, the power cables are connected to the 970. The R7 250 doesn't need them however.

Also, i havent go into the BIOS but have found something new in the process. Before entering the BIOS, i put in a graphics card, the R7 250. The IGP wouldnt work so i connect the DVI cable to the card. Then there we went! R7 250 working fine. But when i tried this withthe GTX 970. The IGP was active and i couldn't connect to the Card. However the lights are on and the fans were on while during post.

I havent tried other PCIe x16 slots. Would that make a difference now considering the R7 250 works on the first?

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
Sorry for the poor messaging there.

"Before entering the BIOS, i put in a graphics card, the R7 250."

-update-

When i had setup my motherboard in my case. Before entering the OS i entered the BIOs with this card problem. Using my IGP while still having the GTX 970 connected. I selected the board explorer option and it showed my card connecting and disconnecting or at least it looked like that is what it was displaying. I then shutdown and powered up and it didnt show it again while the card was still not showing anything.

Nexus Radical

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

No, I inserted it while the power supply was turned off. Never at any point had i done that. Otherwise id expect it to be damage. :D

-update-
It was working yesterday fine on my secondary PC. Which is no longer working its self. Not even its IGP... Werid.