News Graphics Cards Ranked by Value, January 2023

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Catalyst... that hasn't been the name of the driver package since... I dunno, a decade maybe. They've been called "Crimson" and "Adrenalin" since then.

I see what you're saying though. The thing is, if the drivers were problematic, re-installing them wouldn't have fixed anything because they would've still been the same drivers. That points to something else, but I have no idea what.

Yeah, if you're using Catalyst drivers, that's, at the absolute latest, late 2015. The 5700 XT was released mid 2019.

If you were trying to use Catalyst drivers with the 5700 XT, well, I would be very surprised if you DIDN'T have trouble.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Yeah, if you're using Catalyst drivers, that's, at the absolute latest, late 2015. The 5700 XT was released mid 2019.

If you were trying to use Catalyst drivers with the 5700 XT, well, I would be very surprised if you DIDN'T have trouble.
I really doubt that was the case though. Picking the correct drivers from AMD's website is ridiculously easy. ;)

Reactions: King_V

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Catalyst... that hasn't been the name of the driver package since... I dunno, a decade maybe. They've been called "Crimson" and "Adrenalin" since then.

I see what you're saying though. The thing is, if the drivers were problematic, re-installing them wouldn't have fixed anything because they would've still been the same drivers. That points to something else, but I have no idea what.
Yeah I don't remember it. It was the actual software...think it was Adrenaline, but I second guessed myself. I just remember it was the software not the drivers that was causing issues, and the package was all bundled. So you had to rip it all out, download the package, run it, get to the point where it asked for a temp folder and let it unpack to there, then kill the app, and go manually update drivers by pointing to the folder. Was the only way in that gen not to use their software as well.

Was a pain, but made the card usable at least.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Yeah I don't remember it. It was the actual software...think it was Adrenaline, but I second guessed myself. I just remember it was the software not the drivers that was causing issues, and the package was all bundled. So you had to rip it all out, download the package, run it, get to the point where it asked for a temp folder and let it unpack to there, then kill the app, and go manually update drivers by pointing to the folder. Was the only way in that gen not to use their software as well.

Was a pain, but made the card usable at least.
I believe you. I honestly don't think that you could have gotten Catalyst drivers for it because even the legacy driver package for cards that would have originally used Catalyst is still Adrenalin. I remember when I did an install on my mom's PC which, at the time, used an HD 6450, a card that was definitely from the Catalyst era. :LOL:

Reactions: JTWrenn