News Graphics Cards Reportedly Set to Get Cheaper This Quarter

nitts999

Prominent
Jul 14, 2021
Gamers: basically the red headed stepchild of GPU manufacturers.
We're not going to forget how some of these AIB treated gamers during the pandemic as they shipped pallet loads of GPUs to miners, while gamers were left scrambling to get scraps.

Ehh...yes you will. I get the frustration--I do. But the reality is you'll buy whatever card works for you and your budget when you get the chance because what else are you going to do? Being butthurt about them selling their products to buyers willing to buy them is irrational and the only person who will suffer from your one-man boycott is you.

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
Ehh...yes you will. I get the frustration--I do. But the reality is you'll buy whatever card works for you and your budget when you get the chance because what else are you going to do? Being butthurt about them selling their products to buyers willing to buy them is irrational and the only person who will suffer from your one-man boycott is you.

Of course we will buy cards we can afford. That question is what brand and from what seller. Will I buy from the AIB manufacture who acted badly badly, or a similar priced board from an AIB manufacturer who showed responsibility. Likewise, will I place the order through Best Buy or New Egg.

The AIB makers (Asus, MSI, EVGA, Zotac, etc.) and the sellers (BestBuy, Amazon, New Egg, etc.) compete for those dollars. If you doubt it, why else would they give Tom's Hardware product to review and compare against their competitors cards. They are trying to establish the reputation and quality of their product, i.e. the integrity of their Brand, and establish Goodwill with the consumer.

Before all this, I was pleased to buy from New Egg and wouldn't consider buying anything but an Asus / MSI graphics card. The Shuffle caused New Egg to lose my business. The EVGA que system shifted my brand loyalty. In Intellectual Property Law, we refer to this as a loss of Goodwill. Protecting Goodwill is one of the tenants behind Trademark Law.

I think the point daworstplaya was trying to make is the behavior of many AIB manufactures and retailers caused a loss of goodwill, which translates to a loss of sales to competitors who behaved well and maintained the goodwill of their consumers.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
When the street prices are below MSRP as in a normal market then I will look at them again, maybe.
My pre-panic 5700xt might be the last gpu I ever buy as I expect it to be pretty good for 1440p/1080p for a long while.

andrewkelb

Reputable
Mar 10, 2018
People are still paying $700 on ebay for a used RX 6700 xt that had an MSRP of $479 and $900 + for a RTX 3060 Ti that had an MSRP of $399. I am not overly hopeful.

Giroro

Splendid
At this point it's over 1 year old tech. I'll wait another year for next gen that is 2->2.5x faster.

Sadly, I don't think the next generation of cards are going to be much better... and they definitely won't be cheaper.

Nvidia is looking at 3090s selling out at $3000 and thinking "surely a card that's 10% better will still sell out with a $2000 MSRP.

The era of affordable video cards for gamers and amateur video editors is over. There isn't a sub $300 card this generation, and I doubt there will be a sub $400 card for the next gen.

Reactions: 2Be_or_Not2Be

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Sadly, I don't think the next generation of cards are going to be much better... and they definitely won't be cheaper.

Nvidia is looking at 3090s selling out at $3000 and thinking "surely a card that's 10% better will still sell out with a $2000 MSRP.

The era of affordable video cards for gamers and amateur video editors is over. There isn't a sub $300 card this generation, and I doubt there will be a sub $400 card for the next gen.

Yes, thos days are over. Hardware will get more expensive regardless of miners or not.

Co BIY

Splendid
Also I'll keep in mind that the MSRPs were high when released.

What I want and what I need in a graphics solution are different things.

If what I want is only a few hundred dollars more then I'll buy it. $1000 more - not so much.