News Graphics Cards Selling for Near MSRP: The Best GPU Deals

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Every review of used mining cards I have seen concludes that as long as the GPU arrives in fully working condition not requiring more than a cleanup, re-pads+paste and possibly new fans, performance is practically good as new.
Hmmm, I've read just the opposite. I'm not saying that EVERY card will exhibit such behavior, just that I wouldn't take the chance, myself.

Hereis just a few examples of the dozens of articles on the matter -
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/325337-crypto-mining-gpus-lose-10-performance-every-year
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhlt3QoTStI

Anywho, my main point is just that I wouldn't touch a used GPU (of the base models that are used heavily in mining) with a 10-meter cattle prod, right now. Especially since prices should continue to drop.

InvalidError

Titan
Hmmm, I've read just the opposite. I'm not saying that EVERY card will exhibit such behavior, just that I wouldn't take the chance, myself.

Hereis just a few examples of the dozens of articles on the matter -
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/325337-crypto-mining-gpus-lose-10-performance-every-year
Palit is the source being cited in both of these. I wouldn't trust a source that has a vested interest in dismissing the used market altogether.

As for your video, I'm going to guess the 20C difference between the two at the same power is simply because the guy didn't bother doing a full refurb before testing. Give the card new paste, new pads and you'll get the 4-5 missing FPS back. Also keep in mind that there can be about 5% card-to-card variance even between identical new-in-box GPUs simply due to silicon lottery.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah not a chance i'd buy a used gpu right now. kind of like buying a used rental car. sure it might run for a while, but in the end it was still abused and i'm not buying someone else's problem, even if it is "dirt cheap"

it would have to be a 3080 for $100 or less for me to even consider "what the heck i'll bite". but even then i'd not expect much from it and know i was throwing my cash away to experiment on the used card for the most part.

go for it if you wish, but there is no way i'd buy a used gpu for the next few years

InvalidError

Titan
It really should be noted that inflation is a thing when the GTX 970 is brought up. $329 in 2014 is not $329 in 2022 dollars (it's about $400).
Technological progress is also a thing, usually progressing much faster than inflation does and causing a given level of performance to get much cheaper over time when the supply chain isn't on fire and healthy competition is keeping companies from doing massive price gouging like they have been doing for the last few years.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i do blame buyers as much for the price gouging. even before the current mess, the price of top end cards was going up quickly. folks kept buying them anyway.

does not excuse the current situation but the fact folks kept buying cards from scalpers at 3-4x retail only shows how stupid consumers can be. if no one payed it, they would never get so high, scarce or not.