Graphics driver stops responding, screen contains glitches. How do I proceed?

Itzalive

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
Every minute or so my screens hangs and creates glitches/noise. They then go off and on again as the graphics driver restarts and I get a notification that the driver has been restarted. I have the latest graphics driver for my card; Nvidia 460GTX with driver 340.52.

Has anyone seen this before or does anyone know how to proceed to narrow down the cause of the issue?

When I restarted to safe mode it seemed fine however on a couple of restarts it happens during the boot process including the BIOS screen so I feel it is less likely to be a software issue. On these boots it wasn't from cold though so may be corrupt memory not being cleared.

http://www.itzalive.co.uk/images/2014-08-05%2010.59.47.jpg
http://www.itzalive.co.uk/images/2014-08-05%2011.16.40.jpg

Thank you for any ideas!

Solution
You CPU is still very good, and you can actually overclock that by about 400mhz adjusting the multiplyer if you wish (non K sandybridge CPUs could be clocked 4 bins higher).

The rest of your system is decent, so I wouldnt upgrade the cpu/mobo until at least next gen.

760 is decent and would be a good upgrade from the 460.

Itzalive

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014

That's what I thought, but wanted to check before I decided to splash out on a new card. Thanks

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Whats your current system spec and budget for new card and perhaps we can suggest a good replacement. And also what games you like to play so we dont suggest something overkill.

Itzalive

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014

Thanks, I last rebuilt my pc about 3yrs ago so is in need of an update anyway. It currently is:
i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz w/ Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
GTX 460
Corsair XMS3 2x4Gb 1600Mhz
120GB SSD + 3 HDD
OCZ ZS 650W PSU
2x LG 23EA63 Monitors

I play a wide range of games fairly irregularly; atm Payday2, AC4, BF4, SC. But I also use the GPU for accelerated image analysis for my job. I was thinking of upgrading to the new version of what I had ie GTX 760

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
You CPU is still very good, and you can actually overclock that by about 400mhz adjusting the multiplyer if you wish (non K sandybridge CPUs could be clocked 4 bins higher).

The rest of your system is decent, so I wouldnt upgrade the cpu/mobo until at least next gen.

760 is decent and would be a good upgrade from the 460.

Solution