[SOLVED] Graphics Issue when switching programs into and out of Full Screen

Oct 28, 2021
This is a very frustrating issue I've been having recently that I've tried everything I can think of to resolve.

Laptop Specs:
HP Spectre x360 15" (OLED Display)
Intel i7 10750H
16 GB RAM
Intel UHD Graphics/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Max Q

The issue I'm having is whenever I switch to full screen, the screen will quickly go black and then come back. This happens whenever I open a program or video in full screen mode and then again when I exit full screen mode. In some programs, if I'm watching a video and I move the mouse it will flicker again when the slider is displayed and again when it disappears. The system is completely unresponsive during the second that it takes place as well. So, for example, if I'm watching Youtube in Full screen and I scroll down to the comments, the screen will flicker, the device will become unresponsive and then when I scroll back up it will happen again.

I'm 90% sure this has something to do with the Intel UHD Graphics driver. This did not happen when I initially got the device in late 2020 but started some time in the passed 3-4 months, I believe after the June Intel update. I also want to point out that this does not happen on an external display at all, which connects via HDMI directly to my dedicated GPU. If I go into device manager and disable/uninstall the Intel driver it stops happening as well.

I've tried the following to try to resolve the issue and likely others as well, but probably forgot about them. I've been trying to fix this on and off for the past couple months. I also couldn't find any information online of anyone experiencing a similar issue to me.
  • Disabling all Intel graphics settings
  • rolling back the Intel driver (I had issues with this and Windows kept updating it to the June update)
  • Last ditch update to Windows 11 to see if that did anything.
  • Playing with the scaling options in windows to see if it had anything to do with that.
  • tested all Display/video settings in the windows settings/control panel
Appreciate any suggestions on what I can do to fix this or if anyone has seen this before.

Thanks.

Solution
Take a closer look at what the laptop is doing/does when you switch modes.

You can take a closer look via Task Manager and Resource Monitor. Use both tools but only use one at a time.

Determine what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using that resource.

Especially when you make a screen switch. It may take a bit of trial and error to spot a potential culprit.

Try to change only one thing at a time when making screen switches.

Ralston18

Titan
Take a closer look at what the laptop is doing/does when you switch modes.

You can take a closer look via Task Manager and Resource Monitor. Use both tools but only use one at a time.

Determine what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using that resource.

Especially when you make a screen switch. It may take a bit of trial and error to spot a potential culprit.

Try to change only one thing at a time when making screen switches.

Solution