Graphics, memory or CPU issues?

Apr 15, 2018
I have a Desktop with:
Ryzen 5 1600X
ASRock AB350M Pro4
ASUS ROG-Strix GTX1080Ti 11GB OC GPU
and G.Skill - Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

I was getting some odd behavior in some games (slow motion, super fast speed up, and freezes to mention a few), and wasn't getting the FPS in games like PUBG that I was expecting. Also while watching streams I get the problems too, but I don't know if that's just a buffering issue or if that's on the GPU/CPU.

I don't know a lot about computers and I sorta just built this computer with the money I had available (yeah I know the GPU is expensive and overkill, but like I said I'm a newbie to building and didn't realize your parts had to work together and could create throttling and whatnot). I have two monitors, a 1080p BenQ and a 1440p AOC Agon (this is my primary monitor).

Anyways I was hoping someone could give me some advice on what parts I should upgrade or some solutions to my problems.

The computer has three fans, one in back and two in front.

I'm not sure what case the computer has because it was prebuilt, and then I added those three parts listed above. The computer was a "mid range" priced CyberPowerPC desktop. "GXiVR8060A2" is the only information I have for its possible model number.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

unclebun

Honorable
Mar 28, 2014
There's no compatibility reason why those parts shouldn't work together smoothly.

I'd say that issues with the Windows installation and drivers are the most likely source for your problems.

Have you tried running it with only one monitor?

Ryzen 5 1600X
ASUS ROG-Strix GTX1080Ti 11GB OC GPU
G.Skill - Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
For 1440p, that actually seems like a reasonably good combination. At a higher resolution like that, and at higher settings, you typically won't be getting up to the kinds of frame rates in most games where the CPU would be limiting your performance much. Keep in mind that at 1440p, frame rates will be lower than at 1080p though, since the card needs to render around 78% more pixels.

And while that graphics card can put out a lot of heat, the case looks like it should offer reasonably good airflow. Have you checked temperatures of the CPU and GPU while gaming though?

It does not. You can even overclock on a B350 motherboard. The only real reason to go with an X370 would be for slightly better connectivity options, like extra PCIe, SATA and USB ports, and support for multiple graphics cards. Higher-end motherboards might potentially offer more stable overclocking and other features as well, but those aren't directly tied to the chipset.

Apr 15, 2018

So I used the link you gave me and ran the test and here are the results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 128%, Desk 127%, Work 113%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X - 89.5%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti - 152.1%
SSD: Intel 600p Series NVMe PCIe M.2 128GB - 272.1%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 93.4%
RAM: G.SKILL Flare X DDR4 3200 C14 2x8GB - 112.6%
MBD: Asrock AB350M Pro4

UserBenchmarks: Game 128%, Desk 127%, Work 113%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X - 89.5%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti - 152.1%
SSD: Intel 600p Series NVMe PCIe M.2 128GB - 272.1%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 93.4%
RAM: G.SKILL Flare X DDR4 3200 C14 2x8GB - 112.6%
MBD: Asrock AB350M Pro4

It says my computer is performing very well, from what I can tell.
The only thing that sticks out on the report is that the GPU is "Performing below expectations (24th percentile)" and the memory "Latency" is yellow instead of Green like everything else on the report.

Apr 15, 2018

I've actually had an old issue with this set up where the monitors would go black for a couple seconds then turn back on. I tried one monitor and it still did the same thing. THAT problem hasn't happened in a long time though, not sure what I did to fix it - but now the slow down / speed up / freezing problem is happening.

Could there be a problem with the power source? The computer came with 600W PSU, which has remained unchanged with the other upgrades.

Temps seem to be normal, it does get hot, but not dangerously hot.

What would I need to do to fix the drivers / installation? Am I going to lose my downloaded applications like all my games and stuff? I've done a clean install in the past on an older computer and it took me forever to get all my installed games and whatnot back on the computer so I'm not excited about that.

The memory latency seems right in line for a Ryzen system, since it's normal for memory on that platform to experience somewhat higher latency. In general, that shouldn't have that big of an impact on performance though, which is why Userbench still considers the overall performance of your RAM to be "outstanding". If you click through to view the results from other users of that Flare X kit (click the link below its product name containing "average bench 102%"), you'll see that most users of that RAM have similar results with relatively high latency, and the average latency is practically identical to what you have, since the kit is most commonly used in Ryzen systems.

As for the 1080 Ti, your overall score does rank a little bit lower than average for a 1080 Ti, though it still appears to be within the range of what would be considered normal for that card. Scoring slightly lower could simply be a result of UserBench's testing methodology though, since judging by the resulting frame rates for that card, it's not a very demanding test. When a system is pushing 500+ fps, as it is with their DX9 test, other aspects of a system's performance could potentially come into play that might not be a problem under normal gaming conditions.

As for your problem, are your CPU and GPU temps remaining relatively normal while things are "slowing down and speeding up"? You could try using a utility like MSI Afterburner to monitor your temperatures and clock rates while these events are occurring. And do you mean your frame rates are dropping during these times, or are the frame rates remaining relatively constant, and only the movement of players in the game is changing speed? If it were the latter, that might potentially even be a network-related issue.

Apr 15, 2018

I'll monitor the temps more closely, however I'm almost positive that the temps are remaining normal during the slow downs and speed ups. The slowdowns and speed ups really happen what seems to be randomly for all I can tell.

Let me give an example:

So my buddy and I play mario kart 8 on his laptop (pre built mid grade laptop, nothing fancy.) and it runs fine.
We play the same game same settings, same everything on my computer with all these upgraded parts and I get slow downs and speed ups at the most random moments. A game like mario kart seems like my computer shouldn''t have a problem at all, which is why I'm so confused about what's going on with my computer.

Apr 15, 2018
So I used MSI Afterburner to monitor things while playing / streaming. It appears the "GPU usage %" drops to nearly 0% (can't quite see if it is 0% my cursor doesn't get that accurate on the timeline), but the lowest I can see it at is 2%. Whenever it drops it does the slow down / speed up / freeze and vice versa. So I'm guessing that's the problem, but I have no idea what to do now to fix that. Is that just a bad GPU?