Graphics Performance Preference - Multiple GPUs

johnlax38

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Hello,

I stream on Mixer and I am looking to take advantage of the new spring creators update. When looking at Graphics Performance Preference (GPP) settings I have the ability to assign a GPU to an application.

My question is, if I invest in another GPU would I potentially be able to allocate games and applications to the GPU that I desire? I assume and I am sure the answer is yes. The GPP interface and labeling system is what is prompting me to ask this question. The two labels are Power Saving and High Performance.

1. If I add another 1080 or a lower version 1070, will I be able to set both as high performance for the app of my choice?

2. If not, I have to select one as Power Saving, does this mean the GPU will run at power saving settings or is this simply a label to use a lower end GPU which uses less power?

https://i.imgur.com/AYxf1Ms.png

AYxf1Ms.png

Solution
Yes, but apps still will have the final choice of which GPU to use.
You may encounter apps that do not follow the preferences you set and you will have to use that apps setting.

You could select whatever power mode you want for the GPU you select.
If you select 'Power saving' mode then the app runs on the most power saving available on the GPU and if you select the 'High performance' mode then the app runs on the most high performance available on that GPU.
Usually the 'Power saving' mode should be used for the integrated GPU (if available), and the'High performance' mode is used for the discrete GPU (it could be either internal or external GPU).
Yes, but apps still will have the final choice of which GPU to use.
You may encounter apps that do not follow the preferences you set and you will have to use that apps setting.

You could select whatever power mode you want for the GPU you select.
If you select 'Power saving' mode then the app runs on the most power saving available on the GPU and if you select the 'High performance' mode then the app runs on the most high performance available on that GPU.
Usually the 'Power saving' mode should be used for the integrated GPU (if available), and the'High performance' mode is used for the discrete GPU (it could be either internal or external GPU).

Solution