Question Grinding fan noise when booting up the PC, goes away after restarting 1-5 times.

Dec 24, 2022

^^^ This is the most similar thread I have found regarding my problem but I struggle to understand the Best Solution as I'm not that proficient regarding PC Specs and tech talk.

Whenever I boot up my PC after some time off it does this grinding sound coming from the CPU dissipator's fan. I opened it up and cleaned it and even moved the fan a little to make sure it wasn't some physical problem and something was actually grinding on the fan, but the problem persists.

I don't understand the previous post's solution, seems like it's not a big deal but if there's an easy way of fixing this, I'd like to know.

EDIT 1:
Tried again after leaving the PC shut for a few hours, the noise began again but I let it run and after 5 minutes or so it was back to normal.

EDIT 2:
Specs

ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Number of Cores4
Speed3.9 GHz
Stepping3
Family06
Model5E
CPU IDBFEBFBFF000506E3

Memory
RAM16 GB

Video Card
Video CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
ChipsetNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
ManufacturerNvidia
Hardware T&LYes
Total Menmory16 GB
Dedicated Memory8.0 GB
Driver Version31.0.15.1694
Vertex Shader Version5.1
Pixel Shader Version5.1
Plug and Play IDVEN_10DE&DEV_1B81&SUBSYS_85A01043&REV_A1
Device1B81
Vendor ID10DE

Operating System
Size64-bit
Operating SystemWindows 10
Version10.0.19041
Service Pack0
Locale0409

BIOS
BIOSBIOS Date: 02/23/16 22:28:46 Ver: 05.0000B
ManufacturerAmerican Megatrends Inc.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The topic you linked, has different issue than what you have.

In the linked topic, OP was complaining about high fan RPM on their CPU cooler. What your issue seems to be, is bad fan bearing (hence the grinding noise).

In your case, i suggest replacing the CPU cooler entirely.
But without knowing your full system specs, i can't suggest which CPU cooler to get.

Dec 24, 2022
The topic you linked, has different issue than what you have.

In the linked topic, OP was complaining about high fan RPM on their CPU cooler. What your issue seems to be, is bad fan bearing (hence the grinding noise).

In your case, i suggest replacing the CPU cooler entirely.
But without knowing your full system specs, i can't suggest which CPU cooler to get.
Added specs in the original post, and another edit that suggests the problem is probably similar to the linked thread.

Dec 24, 2022

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You have Raijintek Themis Evo CPU cooler,
specs: https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=1

It has 120mm fan on it, with the cheapest sleeve bearing. Hence the bearing noise you hear (sleeve bearing is cheapest and shortest fan bearing out there). Just buy new 120mm fan and replace the old eyesore out.

E.g Arctic P12 PWM White,
specs: https://www.arctic.de/en/P12-PWM/ACFAN00171A
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-P12-PWM-Pressure-optimised-Computer/dp/B081VQBB6G

Solid static pressure fan, that also matches your build theme. Also make note where the old fan connected to (CPU_FAN header), so you can plug the new fan in the same header.