Question Grinding noise from GPU anytime I open a game

Jul 20, 2020
GPU: RTX 2070 Super
CPU: RYZEN 5 3600

Built my first PC a few days ago, everything was fine until I added a few more fans to the case, 2 intakes and 2 exhausts then as soon as I opened a game I heard this grinding noise coming from GPU. closed the game and the noise stopped, I have repeated this several times and the same thing happens, the noise won't stop until I close the game OR reduce the quality/resolution to low. Another important info is that the noise starts BEFORE the GPU fans start spinning.

It was not like this before adding the extra fans, what worries me is that I initially did set up the fans the wrong way so that the rear fans were mistakenly acting as intakes and the front fans were the exhausts and that stayed like that for half an hour. any suggestions ?

Last edited:
You'll want to isolate exactly which fan it is.
When it occurs, gently lay a finger on each fan to slow and stop the rotation for just a moment, and figure out which one it is. If it's the CPU fan, check the temperatures (HWiNFO64 is excellent software) to see if the CPU is over heating, causing the fan to run at 100%. If so, you may need to re-do your thermal paste, and/or upgrade the CPU cooler. If it's not overheating, you may need to adjust the speed curve of that fan in the BIOS to see if lowering the RPM helps quiet the noise. If it's one of the other fans, either adjust speed if possible, ensure the fan is mounted securely, or replace the fan.

Reactions: SmallRedMachine
Jul 20, 2020
You'll want to isolate exactly which fan it is.
When it occurs, gently lay a finger on each fan to slow and stop the rotation for just a moment, and figure out which one it is. If it's the CPU fan, check the temperatures (HWiNFO64 is excellent software) to see if the CPU is over heating, causing the fan to run at 100%. If so, you may need to re-do your thermal paste, and/or upgrade the CPU cooler. If it's not overheating, you may need to adjust the speed curve of that fan in the BIOS to see if lowering the RPM helps quiet the noise. If it's one of the other fans, either adjust speed if possible, ensure the fan is mounted securely, or replace the fan.
I just reduced the game quality/resolution to low and the noise stopped, that got me suspecting that the noise is coming from the GPU, it was very hard to track down the noise but I think it's actually the GPU, the top surface of the GPU gets really hard but its fans are spinning. it's RTX2070 Super so it shouldn't have any problem with high quality games. don't know what's going on...