Question Grinding noise when playing a game?

Mar 13, 2020
Hey all,

so I was planning to play a game today, and immediately noticed that my PC was making an incredibly strange sound as soon as the game properly started playing. This ONLY happens while gaming, as soon as I close the game it's gone again.

It's like a constant " grinding " noise for lack of a better description. It doesn't sound like coil whine.

This has not happened before, and the PC is also pretty new ( only got it in May )
A list of all the parts I used can be seen here.

I stopped some of the fans, but it didn't change anything, including running the GPU fans at higher speeds.
Super confused what is causing this since it didn't do so when I first got it and it's super annoying and loud now?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't hear any grinding noise. Just some whooshing of air and a bit of electrical noise here and there, from either the gpu or motherboard.
If stopping one fan at at time didn't do anything, then it's gotta be electrical noise - probably coil whine, since it only seems to happen while running a game.

Mar 13, 2020
I don't hear any grinding noise. Just some whooshing of air and a bit of electrical noise here and there, from either the gpu or motherboard.
If stopping one fan at at time didn't do anything, then it's gotta be electrical noise - probably coil whine, since it only seems to happen while running a game.
Yeah, another friend of mine also suggested coil whine. It's kind of hard to catch on audio, but it's this constant " buzzing " sound in the background for lack of a better word. Pretty damn loud too since I can hear it over the sound of whatever game I'm playing.

I've also read that if you reduce FPS it might go away, and it did for me when I set it from unlimited to 60 FPS. Not really ideal since I'd like to get higher FPS than that with my set-up though, so I might see about RMAing this ... Might just have to put in my old GTX 1080 until I get a replacement.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What you describe sounds even more like it's electrical noise. It likely is coil whine.

I suggest you try a different driver. A couple years ago, my 1080Ti had it for a couple days, and a newly released driver at the time actually fixed it for me.
Download the driver package from Nvidia's site first - don't install it - then download and run Display Driver Uninstaller - run the app in Safe Mode. After, install the driver package.

If that doesn't work, then see if you can RMA the 2080 Super. The card should have a 3 year warranty on it, although some companies don't see coil whine as a reason to RMA.

Mar 13, 2020
What you describe sounds even more like it's electrical noise. It likely is coil whine.

I suggest you try a different driver. A couple years ago, my 1080Ti had it for a couple days, and a newly released driver at the time actually fixed it for me.
Download the driver package from Nvidia's site first - don't install it - then download and run Display Driver Uninstaller - run the app in Safe Mode. After, install the driver package.

If that doesn't work, then see if you can RMA the 2080 Super. The card should have a 3 year warranty on it, although some companies don't see coil whine as a reason to RMA.
Just tried what you suggested, sadly didn't change anything.

I've also noticed that when I run The Witcher 3 at 60 FPS there's no noise, but when I run ( for example ) Assassin's Creed: Origins, it's still there. It's not a quiet noise either, so really strange ...

Definitely will contact the retailer I got the card from tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement because if this is coil whine, it's really loud and annoying and apparently can't be controlled with reduced FPS on some games either.

Reactions: Phaaze88