Question Gsync flickering

Jul 2, 2024
does anyone have any idea how to stop a VA display from flickering.
I am also thinking of getting a second monitor, what type of monitor would be best for an rtx 4070 at 1440p and also best for avoiding this issue?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
This might interest you to more understand the flickering and maybe work on a workaround.

Not sure what monitor to suggest, maybe LG's UltraGear IPS line and read reviews at Rtings and elsewhere for user feedback on IPS glow. Every IPS panel has a degree of glow, some worse than others, depends on brightness level also. IPS won't have vrr flicker VA's tend to suffer though.

Jul 2, 2024
This might interest you to more understand the flickering and maybe work on a workaround.

Not sure what monitor to suggest, maybe LG's UltraGear IPS line and read reviews at Rtings and elsewhere for user feedback on IPS glow. Every IPS panel has a degree of glow, some worse than others, depends on brightness level also. IPS won't have vrr flicker VA's tend to suffer though.
so if i was to get an ips monitor that had freesync rather than Gsync that wouldn't have flickering..?

Jul 2, 2024
I'm not sure if monitors have Gsync modules these days? Anyway, Freesync/Gsync, doesn't matter. VRR flicker is a non issue with IPS, it's VA that is the problem.
There are still a few G-Sync monitors floating around, the price premium is intact though so $100-200 extra. But with 30 and 40 series cards you can do G-Sync over HDMI with the appropriate monitor so pretty much all high end monitors now are Free Sync Premium capable instead.
should an rtx 4070 be able to keep up with a monitor with a 165 hz refresh at 1440?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
For the most part, yes. Not going to top any charts at 1440p max settings, but you drop it down to high and you will be comfortably at 100FPS in even the most demanding titles. In lighter titles or when running competitive settings it will be just fine.

That is what makes VRR so useful. Even if you can't maintain 144 FPS or 165 FPS you won't experience tearing.