Question Gsync

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Okay guys so I admit I am lost when it comes to exactly what the Gsync feature does.....stops screen tearing? I guess.

I had a Pred. X34 for 5 years, it died. So I go an Alienware, just over a year definitely seems to be failing, not impressed at all.

So I find myself shopping yet again, but a lot of monitors I am finding have Freesync, not so many have the Gsync.

I do have a GeForce card so my question is, how important is it to make sure when buying a monitor that it has Gsync.

It's been, well, about a year since I shopped last and other then making sure it has Gsync, and a decent size, I am used to 34 inches, but anything over 30 would be fine, I am also used to the curve, and I guess I should get one with the HDR feature?

So lost, any help is appreciated.
Thanks and Happy Mom's Day!!

Lutfij

Titan
Since you didn't state where you're located, I assumed you were in U.S.A and brought up this shortlist for Gsync montors;
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#sort=price&A=1,6,5

Since the RTX 2000 series of cards were launched Nvidia stated that Freesync monitors are supported since then. So it's up to you if you want to go Freesync or Gsync. What sort of games do you play on your system and at what refresh rate+resolution?

Reactions: Brian_278

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Since you didn't state where you're located, I assumed you were in U.S.A and brought up this shortlist for Gsync montors;
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#sort=price&A=1,6,5

Since the RTX 2000 series of cards were launched Nvidia stated that Freesync monitors are supported since then. So it's up to you if you want to go Freesync or Gsync. What sort of games do you play on your system and at what refresh rate+resolution?

Thanks for the reply.
I'm up in Canada.
Top two games that probably pull the most resources are Horizon Zero Dawn and Forza Horizon 5
I try to play around 60FPS but have gone as high as 100FPS, still find lower is a bit better.
and always play with ultra settings at 3440x1440

My budget now though is lower about 800 including taxes, I prefer IPS and I am afraid the 34 inch range is gone as those are usually over a grand.
So looking for a decent IPS, with HDR, in the 28 to 30 inch category.

Last edited:

larsv8

Distinguished
Here is the guy I trust on monitors. He is also part of the youtube tech channel, Hardware Unboxed, so you can often find the video version of this content as well.

The thing you need to understand with monitors is there is no "best" there is always tradeoffs. You need to familiarize yourself with all the measurable attributes, pick the 3-4 that most suit your needs and go forward from there.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/computers/buying-guide/buying-gaming-monitor-what-you-need-know

Also, its a hard buy because of size and price, but if you can make an LG OLED 48" work, its....amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian_278

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Both my X34 and Alienware aw3418dw are pretty close in stats to one another.
However affording a monitor over a grand is not in the question any longer.
Funny how you can get so used to something, the 34 inch, curved screen really worked well for me. However now I will need to search out something that is slightly smaller, and even the smaller screens with the increased Hz and IPS panels can get pricey.
It's about the only one thing I absolutely hate buying when it comes time to lol everything else is pretty straight forward for me.