[SOLVED] GT 1030 compatibility with MSI H55M-E21

Anonymoux_008

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
I am planning to buy a gt 1030 for my current build which has a MSI H55M-E21 mobo and a first gen i3-540 with 4 gigs of RAM.(Pretty crap PC ik but its about 8 yrs old or even more).

So coming to the main question :
I have read on some thread that gt 1030 needs a mobo with uefi bios while on some threads i have seen people saying that uefi/legacy bios doesnt matter as long as the mobo has pcie-x slot which mine does so, i want to know whether the gpu will compatible with my pc or not?

You can check the list of bios updates for the mobo here : https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H55ME21#down-bios
I am on the version 17.1 and judging from the description of the updates i am not sure if the bios updates would help with gpu compatibility.

P.S : pls dont recommend me higher end graphic cards and such stuff... i am gonna buy a used card just as a temporary upgrade as i am planning for a ryzen+navi build once the new gen launches and currently dont have much money to spend and also i already had to turn down a 750ti cuz my pc has a local crappy psu of 500w(not sure how reliable that rating is) so rn its either a gt 1030 or r7 240 for me as every other card is either expensive or cant be used due to my crap psu and i really dont want to invest much in this current build.

Solution
Justed tested it at my work. ASRock G41C-GS + GT 1030. No issues, works fine, as it should be. Even installed video drivers, but didn't run benchmarks, because it's livecd, so I'm not able to.
Added: also tried on Asus P5Q SE2, works, no issues.
Added2: also tried on MSI G31M3 V2, works, even run benchmark - no issues.
https://i.ibb.co/wLWW23V/IMG-20190219-115123.jpg

rustech

Proper
Apr 28, 2018
What a nonsense that gt 10xx needs a mobo with uefi. It will work fine with your mobo and any other. However, check what interfaces your monitor has, because starting with gt 10 series there is no support for vga (d-sub).

Anonymoux_008

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
What a nonsense that gt 10xx needs a mobo with uefi. It will work fine with your mobo and any other. However, check what interfaces your monitor has, because starting with gt 10 series there is no support for vga (d-sub).
well my monitor does support DVI-D i just need to buy a cable for that plus i am pretty sure vga to hdmi/dvi cables are available now dont think the monitor will be an issue .... just really worried about mobo compatibility as a friend of mine who bought a 1030 had to update bios and switch to uefi to make it work

rustech

Proper
Apr 28, 2018
well my monitor does support DVI-D i just need to buy a cable for that plus i am pretty sure vga to hdmi/dvi cables are available now dont think the monitor will be an issue .... just really worried about mobo compatibility as a friend of mine who bought a 1030 had to update bios and switch to uefi to make it work
vga is analog interface, dvi-d is digital. There are no cables or those small adapters which would allow you to just plug it and play. You would need a special converter vga-dvi (analog to digital).
Now about 1030. If you are not sure if your mobo supports 1030, maybe you should borrow it from your friend and try if it works?

Anonymoux_008

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
vga is analog interface, dvi-d is digital. There are no cables or those small adapters which would allow you to just plug it and play. You would need a special converter vga-dvi (analog to digital).
Now about 1030. If you are not sure if your mobo supports 1030, maybe you should borrow it from your friend and try if it works?
well the friend in question is an online friend so not really possible to do that lol and about the monitor i can still just buy a normal dvi-d cable.

rustech

Proper
Apr 28, 2018
well the friend in question is an online friend so not really possible to do that lol and about the monitor i can still just buy a normal dvi-d cable.
I see. Well, that thing that 7, 9, 10 series require mobo with uefi bios looks ridiculous to me. However you can't be sure like 100% that it will work here and not work there, like memory sticks work well in one mobo but don't in another. Anyway, closer to the question - I have gt 1030 at my work and a few old mobos, so I can try and tell the results to you if you like. But it will be tomorrow (in 10 hours or so).

added: even pcpartpicker doesn't see any issues :) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C2LWsZ

Last edited:

rustech

Proper
Apr 28, 2018
Justed tested it at my work. ASRock G41C-GS + GT 1030. No issues, works fine, as it should be. Even installed video drivers, but didn't run benchmarks, because it's livecd, so I'm not able to.

Last edited:
Solution

Anonymoux_008

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
thanks a lot... btw any if I'd have to update my bios since even the latest version of it is from 2011 and my current version is from 2010.