Discussion GT 730 upgrade...SOS

Jul 5, 2023
I got a YAMA 24 AIO, listed as a gaming PC...sigh. I'm 74 and I trusted these people because they are a trusted Partner for MickySoft. And this was Amazon. But they gave me this Pc with 32 Gigs of memory, 240 G nvram drive, 1T SSD drive but for some weird reason shipped it with a GT 730 card. Shipped with windows 11. Mucho probs getting up and running, with some harsh words with the support people, They didn't even know the correct key to enter the bios. Any further help from them is impossible.
The CMOS had to be reset cause the screen was white. Since I opened it I own it... I reset the CMOS battery fine.
I also noticed the graphics card installed can indeed be removed and replaced...It is a small one with a tiny fan.
Furious with myself for getting hornswoggled I then purchased a beautiful Razer Core X eGPU with a wonderful
AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT. Only to discover this PC doesn't even HAVE thunderbolt. Only USB C.
I can use the eGPU on my older MAC. But I HAVE to get something with similar dimensions and power draw to
Replace this thing....Any ideas? Also is their any way I can get thunderbolt into this machine? Some external thingie that will let me plug the Thunderbolt cable from the eGPU into the Windows machine?
It's bad enough I got swindled but if I can get it running with a new card maybe I can sell it...It's a gorgeous machine
So sad they opted for the cheap end....so inconsiderate. This GPU crashes watching YouTube. These same machines were being sold with windows 10. I can't beleive they are selling these as "Gaming PC's".
This CPU is I5, 2.9 Ghz. Just need a card about the same size...and power draw. thanks

Reactions: Avro Arrow

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
is there any way you can return it?

if only small gpu's can be used. The best low profile gpu are GTX 1650.
these come with a low profile bracket, which can be easily attached to the gpu.

______

a GT 1030 GDDR5 is another option. But it would only be slightly better than the 730.
the one on the link is the one I used during the pandemic. It's quite small, and would fit pc with small case.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, returning it would be best. AIOs are rarely remotely good gaming PCs. "Gaming AIO" is a bit like "racing lawn mower." They're basically disposable PCs; they combine the portability of a desktop with the power and upgradeability of a laptop. They're nightmares to upgrade to the point that I won't even try and coach someone on an upgrade remotely unless it was just storage and RAM.

I agree with RGD and Big D, send that piece of junk back. At best, that's an i5-9400 and there's no place in this universe where a PC with a GeForce GT 730 should be referred to as a "Gaming PC". The GT 730 is nothing more than a glorified video adapter (not all that glorified either) and has no place in a gaming PC. Whoever is advertising it as such is a crook and you should send it back immediately, never to do business with them again.

As for Thunderbolt, most PCs don't have Thunderbolt so it's not something that you can really hold against the seller. I've personally never had Thunderbolt because it's not even as popular as FireWire was (another oddball Mac standard). Very few sellers would include Thunderbolt because it's not a cheap thing, very few people know what it is, even fewer care about it and even fewer use it. Having Thunderbolt included in a system would make it more expensive and less competitive in the marketplace overall. That's why it's not there. It's something you have to add yourself. Fortunately, it's not a big deal to do so.

All you need for Thunderbolt capability is this:
GIGABYTE GC-ALPINE RIDGE (Rev 2.0) Thunderbolt3 Certified PCI-E Expansion card: $70 (+shipping)

Just pop that in and away you go!

Note that Thunderbolt is so expensive that this was literally the cheapest card that I could find. If I were a PC seller, I would never include Thunderbolt capability in one of my PCs as default. I probably wouldn't even bother having it as an option because I might have one customer every two years who would be interested in getting it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Those thunderbolt expansion cards are for specific motherboards, they are not universal. If you scroll down you will see the list of supported boards, most of them being older.

For boards that don't have native thunderbolt ports either included as an expansion card or directly on the motherboard, you basically can't add thunderbolt.