Question router slowing download speeds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
ok so I reset the router and right now the only thing I have plugged into it is this machine I'm using. speedtest.net reports 948Mbps download and 52Mbps upload. so it was a setting in my router. so now I manually input all the settings as before, only the ones I need. once I redo some settings, i will test the speeds again before continuing to add my settings.

This is very common. There are many thing that disable a hardware NAT assist function in a router. Even if you were for example turn on QoS and then turn it off many times does not turn back on the hardware assist. Many times this setting is hidden or people don't know what it means.

Pretty much when you have a very fast internet connection you can't use most the fancy features on the router.

When it uses the hardware assist it bypasses the cpu. If you use any feature that needs the cpu to see the data cpu must do that function in addition to the NAT. The NAT is very cpu intensive function because it must recalculate checksum headers on every packet.

Reactions: lantis3

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
This is very common. There are many thing that disable a hardware NAT assist function in a router. Even if you were for example turn on QoS and then turn it off many times does not turn back on the hardware assist. Many times this setting is hidden or people don't know what it means.

Pretty much when you have a very fast internet connection you can't use most the fancy features on the router.

When it uses the hardware assist it bypasses the cpu. If you use any feature that needs the cpu to see the data cpu must do that function in addition to the NAT. The NAT is very cpu intensive function because it must recalculate checksum headers on every packet.
I wasn't using NAT

I wasn't using NAT
Of course you are that is the reason people have a router in the first place. Nat is what let multiple devices in your house share the single public IP that ISP gives you.

Very technically the device people have in their home is not actually a router since it does not have the ability to "route" traffic or support multiple subnets. Really all it is doing is the NAT function and i guess the wireless for most people.

TRENDING THREADS