GT300 to be Nvidia's first DX11 card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Actually DX11 is suppose to be optimized for more threads to take advantage of multicore CPUs in AI and scene rendering. That lets programmers be lazy and not have to learn the skills needed to do it themselves ^_^.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I think its a good thing that DX11 is on its way. DX10 was a great failure and was way to over hyped. If DX11 works out I'm sure we will get a lot more games to support it.

The only down side of it coming so soon is that we will have to upgrade our videocards to get the benefits. Lets just hope its worth it.

see this is were Intel might be on to something with there GPGPU or whatever they are working on "larrabee" - from what im hearing it sounds like newer direct x support is just a matter of a driver set, rather then new hardware etc - this piece of hardware sounds more interesting only if they get it right tho....

As far as i am aware the DX11 cards are due out before DX11 or even W7, thats why people are at 6's and 7's about if the new cards are worth waiting for or not.
People really dont know what to expect from the hardware but also dont want to spend out on a card now if there will be performance gains to be had from the DX11 parts.
Remember not every one can afford to upgrade every 6 months or even every year for some people.

Mactronix

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Upgrades every year are best, just go with half as much. $100 now and $100 next year will do much better than $200 now and nothing next year. I feel sorry for people who bought HD 3870X2's.

Actually of all the sources I'd give Fuad more credit than most. The only ones I trust more are those who can't talk even though they itch to share what they know.

Well really GT300 makes less sense, it's the same error most people make. It should be the G300 and the GTX3xx.

Don't give up hope though, they could still call it the GTXI3xx with the XI denoting DX support level, then after that the GTXII. Someday it might eventually be fast enough to earn the name GT-R but only if it has twin turbos and enough lateral Gs. ;)

BTW guys no one is forcing anyone to move to DX11, but consider it like a tool box set, you might not need all the tools that come with it, but it's better than to find yourself confronted with a problem and then not have the right tool at your disposal despite the mfr (M$) originally having thought of it and wanting to include it but everyone else decided it was tool many tools in one box and too confusing for now.

There are major benefits to both DX11 and the various levels of DX10, however it takes time to implement and to see what pays off.

I have more hope for DX11 than DX10, hopefully there will be no partial implementation and not splits.

Larrabee remains the big extra questionmark.

Nothing will 'require' it anytime soon, but who knows, compute shaders, tesselation or something else might be worthwhile sooner than dx10 features may have been.

I_Am_Skip

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
It really does piss me off when you go spend tons of money on good hardware when within a month
it is a 2/3rds of its original value...

You go spend a lot on gtx 260 sli, then within a year the gtx295 comes out and kicks it up the bum, and
it is on one card. So I guess by this Christmas there will be the gtx295x2 (or gt300 series...)

jennyh

Splendid
You'll be fine, trust me.

Give Windows 7 a year to gain a foothold and a good few months for dx11 to take off - and that's only if it's *really* good.

Dx11 has to be amazing for anyone to go out and buy a g300 or r800 gpu. It's been a very long time since I skipped a whole generation of cards but I have a feeling that the next gen will be getting skipped.

How many people are sitting with single 4870's or gtx260's in their pc's, and already very satisfied with the performance? Don't worry about your gpu becoming obsolete, the games just aren't up to speed with the hardware and probably never will be again.

Also the 295gtx doesn't beat 260's in sli, they are practically the same.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009

Umn... they've had the GTX295 for a while..... a long while.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009

Actually There are some benchmarks on this site a few weeks old that show an SLI GTX260 set up performs nearly as good as a GTX295 , and in a few cases beats it.

zomb699

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

no way my 3870X2 rocks , i can run any game including crysis at highest settings and it supports dx10.1 something that no nvidia card does.

i feel sorry for nvidia users being left out in the cold.

CORE I7 FTW!!!

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009

Nvidia doesnt need it to be on the hardware, our AWESOME almost perfect drivers do that for us.

thread_necromancer.png

TRENDING THREADS