[SOLVED] GTA 4 lag fix on good pc

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
I have a pc with 16 gb ram, windows 10, nvidia rtx 2080 ti and intel core i5 with 1tb hdd, while playing gta 5 on max settings i get 70 plus fps, in pubg i get 60 plus fps but in gta 4 i get 30 to 50 fps, please tell me how to fix this issue. I also tried patch 1.5 but still no luck. I want to play gta 4 at 100 fps without loering the settings, i am ready to upgrade my pc more strongly but please help me to get 100 plus fps in gta 4 at max settings. I got this game from flipkart.

Solution
GTA IV has always been a poorly done port has some serious CPU bottlenecks due to the way it was coded (seemingly just copying and pasting the game from Xbox 360). The game only really scales across 3 cores, but in addition to the usual CPU tasks, the CPU draws all the in-game shadows because that's how it was coded on Xbox 360.

As a result, you need a CPU with very high single core performance to get the best performance out of GTA IV. Reducing the shadow settings particularly Night Shadows can help performance a fair bit. In any case you likely won't get performance better than GTA V on PC despite GTA V being a newer game. 100FPS constant is pretty much off the table, at best you can maybe get 100FPS some of the time but expect a...
GTA IV has always been a poorly done port has some serious CPU bottlenecks due to the way it was coded (seemingly just copying and pasting the game from Xbox 360). The game only really scales across 3 cores, but in addition to the usual CPU tasks, the CPU draws all the in-game shadows because that's how it was coded on Xbox 360.

As a result, you need a CPU with very high single core performance to get the best performance out of GTA IV. Reducing the shadow settings particularly Night Shadows can help performance a fair bit. In any case you likely won't get performance better than GTA V on PC despite GTA V being a newer game. 100FPS constant is pretty much off the table, at best you can maybe get 100FPS some of the time but expect a lot of drops in busier areas of the game.

Solution
i have core i5 9600
please i want 100 fps in gta 4 i will also upgrade to i7 processor if you guarantee 100 fps

Like I said before, more cores and more threads aren't going to help you here, core speed is all that really matters for GTA IV once you get up to 3 cores, and for that you need an unlocked CPU you can overclock if you have a motherboard that allows overclocking that is. Even with an overclockable chip you still might not get 100FPS constant. I've run the game on my 8700k overclocked to 4.9GHz and I still got drops down to about 60FPS in some areas, and that was with Night Shadows dropped to medium. 100FPS may simply not be possible unless you are willing to drastically drop settings eg. turn shadows off and reduce things like view distance and NPC density.

Reactions: Phaaze88

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
are you serious, low settings on rtx 2080 ti, bro, i have a future proof pc, i play batlefield 5 super smooth a 4k and you telling me to turn off shadows in gta 4, please tell me other way like patches, mods, etc but i want max settings, my friend has gtx 1050 ti and intel core i7 but he has 5 fps more than me, is it a joke, should i sell rtx and buy gtx 1050 ti

are you serious, low settings on rtx 2080 ti, bro, i have a future proof pc, i play batlefield 5 super smooth a 4k and you telling me to turn off shadows in gta 4, please tell me other way like patches, mods, etc but i want max settings, my friend has gtx 1050 ti and intel core i7 but he has 5 fps more than me, is it a joke, should i sell rtx and buy gtx 1050 ti

This isn't a GPU problem, GTA IV is massively CPU limited and performance isn't great regardless of what GPU you're running. GTA IV is just a very poorly made game on PC and there are no patches or fixes to really improve it all that much in terms of performance. Best you can do is try to brute force it with an overclocked CPU and turn some of the CPU intensive settings down a bit.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's too late now obviously but as a courtesy post, GTA 4 is best played directly from the exe (not launcher) and fps limited between 30 to 45. The cutscenes are recorded at 30fps and stutter like mad with uncapped frame rate.

From experience with it, the game's performance does improve as you progress through the story. Not nearly as bad compared to the beginning.