Gta 5 Online low fps compared to offline

Jun 29, 2018
Hey! I have just got a 144 Hz screen and i wanted to play with high frames in gta 5. In story mode it is really good with 110-125 fps. But in online it is 55-70. I have the latent gpu driver, turned off all background applications turned down audio sampling too. Already talkad to support but they just answered with kind of the same answer. My specs
I5 6500
Ddr4 2133 MHz 16gb
Gtx 1060 6 GB overclocked pretty high.
500w power supply.
Nvme 250 GB ssd
B150m-plus Asus motherboard

Solution
As previously pointed out, there's a lot more going on in multiplayer/online play than in single-player/campaign mode. Your CPU is not only processing the normal game data, but having to also process the online datastream. Given that you're using a GTX 1060 with a 144Hz monitor, you're probably playing at 1080p, which is right where CPU power is just as (if not more) important as graphics power.

Luckily, you have some available CPU upgrade options (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B150M-PLUS/HelpDesk_CPU/). The TL:DR version is this:
-- you can drop in an i7-6700 as-is (slightly faster per core, has double the threads), which should give you a bit of a boost for online play
-- If you update your BIOS to version 3016 first...

nominath6543

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Hi, i'm not a complete expert on this but iv'e had my fair share of GTA V experience and also know a bit about frames in games through my years of building PC's and playing games. In general online versions of games that have a campaign have higher requirements on your processor (and maybe RAM) due to online services being constantly updated and changed as well as there being actual players online (not Pre loaded Ai), your PC generally will have to now not only process the environment and other GTA components but also real players at the same time. Try playing in an area that has no other players or barely any and then try and go to the same spot on a different server of the game (leaving and rejoining should do that) or try and go back to the same spot again another time when its busy and see if there is significant frame rate loss. (also just more things going on on your screen will lower fps since your computer has to process more things at once, so people shooting or blowing things up or driving cars even would create a frame drop in my opinion.)

hope this helps explain my thoughts on the matter and if another, better answer doesn't show up, give that experiment a try and see if that is the issue (if you get higher frames in an are when there are no or little online players there vs when there are a decent amount/a lot)

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Story mode uses pre scripted animations and scenes that have been pre optimised and only show stuff for you that you need to see in that scene.
In actual game mode there is a lot more stuff going on in terms of world simulation (e.g. what is behind you) that you would not see in a story cut scene. This is why you get more frames in story. GTA is quite CPU intensive and the 6500 is taxed by it. You can google CPU comparisons on GTA on youtube, there are plenty of good videos to see which CPU gives you best bang for the buck if you were thinking of upgrading.
Otherwise the only thing to do is to lower the settings and hope that the frames are OK to play the game.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
As previously pointed out, there's a lot more going on in multiplayer/online play than in single-player/campaign mode. Your CPU is not only processing the normal game data, but having to also process the online datastream. Given that you're using a GTX 1060 with a 144Hz monitor, you're probably playing at 1080p, which is right where CPU power is just as (if not more) important as graphics power.

Luckily, you have some available CPU upgrade options (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B150M-PLUS/HelpDesk_CPU/). The TL:DR version is this:
-- you can drop in an i7-6700 as-is (slightly faster per core, has double the threads), which should give you a bit of a boost for online play
-- If you update your BIOS to version 3016 first, you could even drop in an i7-7700 (even faster than the 6700)
-- Don't bother with the "K" models. Although their base speeds are even faster, the primary purpose to buy a "K" CPU is to overclock...& your motherboard can't overclock. Plus, they don't come with their own coolers, so you'll have to add another $30-50 USD to your purchase to get a cooler.

Solution
Jun 29, 2018
Ok so arter a year or so i am going to get a 7700 or 6700. But is it not a big difference between 7700 and 6700 to 7700k and 6700k. Because they have higher chock speed?

nominath6543

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

not exactly. even though the clock speed on the 7700k and 6700k can go higher, they produce alot more heat and require good cpu coolers as well as a good power supply to run properly without overheating. in most cases a 7700 and 6700 will do very well, no need for the unlocked ones. the unlocked ones would also require a new board so that would add even more to your cost.