GTA 'Episodes from Liberty City' Hitting PC, PS3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]alanman[/nom]It amazes me that people don't realize GTA IV for PC has been patched several times and the performance issues have been fixed.[citation]
I chucked the box in my desk drawer after playing it when I first brought it and the performance was terrible. Just wrote it off as a "Look at reviews before you buy" decision. I might dust it off and see if I can finally play it as I liked the previous GTA's that wern't a terrible port!

bertschkid

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
I'm going to focus on this one little section of stuff here.

Turn off V-Synch and watch your load times go from when the loading screen song has been over for a minute, to damn near right away. Just another fun little POS bug that they haven't fixed since the game came out..

Your welcome.

bertschkid

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
I'm going to focus on this one little section of stuff here.

Turn off V-Synch and watch your load times go from when the loading screen song has been over for a minute, to damn near right away. Just another fun little POS bug that they haven't fixed since the game came out..

Your welcome.

Thanks for that little tip! Load times were pretty much cut in half and the max fps's went up quite a bit, obviously. Indoors I am getting max 120fps while outdoors I am getting around 80 fps max standing in place. Not that it really changes things as the average fps is still the same.

Thanks.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
[citation][nom]bertschkid[/nom]Thanks for that little tip! Load times were pretty much cut in half and the max fps's went up quite a bit, obviously. Indoors I am getting max 120fps while outdoors I am getting around 80 fps max standing in place. Not that it really changes things as the average fps is still the same.Thanks.[/citation]
Your welcome, if that doesn't tell you I know this game inside and out I don't know what to say.. They need to fix everything in one last patch and then worry about selling us more stuff. If it's still broke when these games come out I'm not buying them and I doubt many other people will either IMO..

bertschkid

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
True, the only reason I got it is because of the $7 deal on Steam back during Christmas. Good thing I already had my order in for the i7 otherwise I wouldn't have even been able to enjoy the game. I new it was buggy and had performance problems when I bought it but it was a little worse then expected and way worse then it should have been.

Heck with that C2D I should have been able to run it at 60fps easy, especially given the level of graphics. Heck, I was running San Andreas decently with an average P4 2.4 768mb of ram and a Radeon 9800Pro the day it came out. I don't remember what settings I had it at but I believe they were on the highest, or close to it. Probably not full view distance but still...

Defiantly wasn't a high end system at that time, considering the 9800Pro came out in 2002 and the 6800 series was already out which was quite a bit better then the 9800Pro. Of course, the 9800pro was kind in a league of its own back in the day. Second longest lasting card I have ever bought, besides the 8800gt which was also a good long lasting card, heck it still is a great card and can still play a lot of things on decent settings(the 8800gt that is).

In comparison a C2D and an 8800gt should have been able to max out GTAIV no problem had it been made properly. Should have even been able to run on a 6800gt or ultra at medium settings!

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I've been playing GTA IV since I got it for $7 off Steam. I have a GTX 295 and i7-920. The load times aren't really that bad to me. (300GB WD 10,000 RPM raptor drive) The graphics are fine except I see flickering shadows in a lot of places which is annoying as hell but I've gotten used to it. It runs very smooth and doesn't ever stutter.

I have the video settings set as high as they can go without the game giving that warning of not having enough video memory (sucks each GPU only has like 850MB each).

I think it was well worth the $7 but it certainly could have been ported over to PC better.

JesterOC

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I bought the $7 version also, and it was the best game I have bought at that price. I only play multiplayer and it is just amazing. This is the sort of game I have always wanted to play. I love the GTA mode, nothing better than racing all around the city with no rules to limit your creativity on how to get from point A to B. I want the Downloads just to get better toys to play with in Multiplayer. I hope they will be reasonably priced.

angryredplanet

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I'm running it now on a i7-920 + dual 275GTX + Intel 160GB G2 SSD (is this considered 'monster') and have all settings maxed out. The only stutter I get is indoors, for some reason. Frame-rate was sub-par overall until I upgraded the HD. Now it really sings!

The only problem is I lost the gamesave in my back up. (didn't know appdata was an invisible file, so I copied the R* folder in My Documents. (*doh!*) F*ckin' 50% complete with 4 leaf clover complete, all the pigeons and the most wanted . . .

Ah, what the heck, why complain about being forced to spend 20-30 extra hours of a story when it's this good, eh?

BTW, do you have to finish the main storyline to start on the Ep. of LC ??

Status
Not open for further replies.