GTA Online occasional FPS drops

Blingbo

Distinguished
May 21, 2015
I've read a lot of posts about this, but none have helped me so far. I've had this problem before, but couldn't figure out why it's doing so. It fixed itself a few weeks ago, but as of 2 days, its back. Basically whenever I play I get these intervals of 5-30 mins where everything runs perfect and then it drops to 10-20 fps for lets say 20 seconds. At first my PC had 8GB ram, i got 16GB, didnt fix it. Then I added an SSD and put the games there, also didnt fix it. I tried downgrading graphics as per a few forum posts, nothing changed. Over the years I learned that graphic options do not matter, even on the lowest possible settings, incl. resolution it still happens. Lately I've been thinking that its because of some driver/windows update that has happened some time this month, since the game did fix itself before that. These frame drops are really putting me off the game and they happen anywhere at any time, it doesn't matter if im driving, flying or sitting in a house. I've noticed along with these drops, that they also happen in DOTA 2, which lead me to think steam (GTA is also there) has something to do with it. In any case, I got no idea and prefer to not OC components

I'll give you my specs:
AMD fx-8350
MSI 970
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
Samsung Evo 860 1TB
Seagate barracuda 1TB 7200.14
Kingston KHX1600C9D3/4 2x4GB
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A160 2x4GB
GeForce Driver as of typing: 442.59
Latest Win10 64bit update installed: kb4551762
Here is a link to a benchmark I did last night: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25708220

Last edited:

Blingbo

Distinguished
May 21, 2015
Ok that’s not a good board for a 125w cpu. Monitor the cpu speed (GHz) using a program like MSIAfterburner when gaming, if the cpu speed drops at the same time as the FPS drops I think you are being throttled by the motherboard.
Thank you, I'll try that today and report back. If this is the case I assume i'd need a new board to keep up with the cpu? And if so I better build a new pc. How about a 3900x with a 2080ti?

Thank you, I'll try that today and report back. If this is the case I assume i'd need a new board to keep up with the cpu? And if so I better build a new pc. How about a 3900x with a 2080ti?
Let’s prove it is the problem, it is just a theory at the moment.

If you want to discuss building a new pc then I recommend starting a new thread on this topic. I’d expect any monitor that was satisfactory with your current build is going to need upgrading to utilise any system with a 2080Ti. In all likelihood you don’t need a 3900x and 2080Ti.

Blingbo

Distinguished
May 21, 2015
Let’s prove it is the problem, it is just a theory at the moment.
You appear to be correct. Note: this is during GTA:ONLINE
The game runs my clocks at 4119 MHz until it drops to 1406MHz for a few seconds which make me go 60FPS->20FPS. Load is on 50-60%, GPU on 45-50% and RAM on 10GB with 15-20 chrome tabs open.

Now, what do you propose I do? And why did it stop doing this for a week or two? I was playing the same game before and after that.