Question GTA V Low GPU & CPU Usage

KaapeK

Prominent
Feb 21, 2020
Hello. I'm having really really bad FPS while playing GTA V, particularly FiveM but tried running GTA V too and got the same usage and frames (FiveM is a software that is based on GTA V that basically adds more mods etc.) My GPU and CPU usage is always below 30-40% and I'm getting bad FPS.

System Specs:
Gigabyte RX 5600 XT OC
Ryzen 5 2600X
B450M HDV r.4
16GB RAM Crucial Ballistix 2666Mhz (2x8)
550W Power Supply 80+ Bronze
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Black Edition RGB CPU COOLER
WD Black SN750 500GB m.2 NVMe
Windows 10

Userbenchmark:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40750370

Things I've tried:
  • Updating all of the chipset and display drivers
  • Updating Windows 10
  • Turning off all unnecessary apps running in the background
  • Unparking CPU Cores
  • Setting my power plan to ultimate performance (turning off Link State Power Management too)
I hope that you guys can help... I don't know what to do.

Last edited:
I have the same issue, with similar specs. Ryzen 5 2600X, 16GB 3200 RAM, 750W PSU, RTX 2080. CPU is at 40%, GPU 30%, getting between 25-70 FPS depending on where I am. I did find a (albeit disappointing) solution that worked well enough. I realized that my FPS was going down anytime I was in an area with more grass or vegetation. inside the city gave me the best FPS, Paleto Forest was only 35 FPS, and on Cayo Perico, I would get as low as 25 FPS. The solution I used was to turn MSAA down to 2x, and Grass Density/Quality from Ultra to High. This nearly doubled my FPS in grassy areas.

That being said, I dont think I should need to turn graphics settings down to get 50-60FPS with an RTX 2080. I do not know the root issue, but I believe that the low CPU and GPU usage is related. I hope you find an actual answer, as that would possibly help me as well.

KaapeK

Prominent
Feb 21, 2020
I have the same issue, with similar specs. Ryzen 5 2600X, 16GB 3200 RAM, 750W PSU, RTX 2080. CPU is at 40%, GPU 30%, getting between 25-70 FPS depending on where I am. I did find a (albeit disappointing) solution that worked well enough. I realized that my FPS was going down anytime I was in an area with more grass or vegetation. inside the city gave me the best FPS, Paleto Forest was only 35 FPS, and on Cayo Perico, I would get as low as 25 FPS. The solution I used was to turn MSAA down to 2x, and Grass Density/Quality from Ultra to High. This nearly doubled my FPS in grassy areas.

That being said, I dont think I should need to turn graphics settings down to get 50-60FPS with an RTX 2080. I do not know the root issue, but I believe that the low CPU and GPU usage is related. I hope you find an actual answer, as that would possibly help me as well.
I hope so man, I'm struggling to get above 40 fps on lowest graphic settings when there is 60 players on the server. Also I think that your GPU is bottlenecked by CPU.

EDIT: Oh no, nevermind. I've just checked and it doesn't bottleneck your GPU. My bad.

I hope so man, I'm struggling to get above 40 fps on lowest graphic settings when there is 60 players on the server. Also I think that your GPU is bottlenecked by CPU.

EDIT: Oh no, nevermind. I've just checked and it doesn't bottleneck your GPU. My bad.
Dont think about bottlenecks too much. They really dont exist. It all depends on how they are used. A better way to describe it would be that my CPU might be a slight mismatch. And yes, I know it is not "balanced". I sold my old GPU right around the beginning of the GPU shortage, and I took whatever decent GPU I could get, which happened to be more than I was looking for, but I wont complain. And I have tested it some. Depending on the game I play, it is sometimes a perfect balance. I forgot which, but in one of my games, I had the GPU usage to 98%, and CPU to 95%, which is about the ideal max usage for any combination. Then there are other where the GPU is 60%, and the CPU is 80%, so its not perfect, but good enough for me, especially since I am considering going to 1440p sometime in the future.

KaapeK

Prominent
Feb 21, 2020
Dont think about bottlenecks too much. They really dont exist. It all depends on how they are used. A better way to describe it would be that my CPU might be a slight mismatch. And yes, I know it is not "balanced". I sold my old GPU right around the beginning of the GPU shortage, and I took whatever decent GPU I could get, which happened to be more than I was looking for, but I wont complain. And I have tested it some. Depending on the game I play, it is sometimes a perfect balance. I forgot which, but in one of my games, I had the GPU usage to 98%, and CPU to 95%, which is about the ideal max usage for any combination. Then there are other where the GPU is 60%, and the CPU is 80%, so its not perfect, but good enough for me, especially since I am considering going to 1440p sometime in the future.
Well, I don’t know what to do, really. Hope that some good soul can help us. Thanks for your reply.

KaapeK

Prominent
Feb 21, 2020
GTA V is a game from 2013 designed for the xbox360/PS3 so it has only three main threads that dictate performance, that's why the CPU usage is around 30% of your 12 thread CPU.
GPU usage depends on quality and resolution.
Graphics settings are set to very high and GPU usage is still low, on the other hand my friend has rx 580 8gb and it’s on 100% usage, therefore he is getting better frames than i am.