Question GTA V overheating my cpu what do I do?

Jun 1, 2019
I recently bought gta v for a new computer I built, so the thermal paste is good, and after around 20 minutes of playing the cpu temp skyrockets to almost 100C on dx11, and around 90 on dx10.

My specs are as follows:
cpu: i7 8700k
gpu: gtx 1070ti
ram: 16gbs 3200
cooler: nzxt kraken x52
psu: 750W 80+ gold

I had an OC of 5 ghz, and decided that it was too much to handle so i just went back to stock frequency. Then I decided to lower the voltage that my cpu was getting to 1.255V, and that helped but it just overheated like 30 mins later. I put msi after burner's OSD on and it is saying a normal cpu usage while playing. I'm really confused as to how this is happening and I'd really appreciate some help.

Generally, GTAV is pretty stressing on your cpu, so it will heat it up more than some other games. Almost 100c is definitely not right, so I would suggest your cooler is the issue.
Double check you used a decent bit of thermal paste, as a little too much of non-conductive won't hurt much. Also, make sure your fans are spinning and the pump is working.
Make sure the block is tightly mounted on your cpu.

Jun 1, 2019
I don't think that is the issue because when I play other games, league of legends, fortnite, r6 seige, etc, my cpu is at highest 72C. And while at idle I'm at a nice 32-36C. I don't think that its my cooler, or that I mounted it wrong, but one thing I have noticed is that the lighting on my cooler won't turn on, and when I go to the CAM software it doesn't show me the option to change that.

Jun 1, 2019
I don't think its that I applied too much thermal paste since I used the pre-applied one on the cooler, I'm also not too sure if I had mounted the cooler wrong since at Idle I'm at 32-36C and while gaming I'm at 72C max. I'm pretty sure its something wrong with the game, or there is something wrong with my cooler. I noticed that the lighting on my Kraken wasn't turning on, so I went to the CAM software to try and fix that, but it didn't even give me the lighting option. Idk if that means anything but I thought I should bring it up.

Nothing wrong with the game, doesnt overheat my overclocked cpu, higher temps than other games tho.

However, gtav does stress your cpu more than the other titles you listed, which makes sense that it would cause higher temps than other games.

Try an aida64 trial cpu test to see what temps get to during the run.

Did you plug in the led cable from the cooler into your mobo? Preapplied paste shouldnt cause more than a few degrees higher than a high quality paste from tube.

Id try to remount the block with new thermal paste if the aida 64 run somes back hot aswell.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I played GTA V for a little while. With a GTX 1070 ROG Strix OC, 1080p all settings on ultra, on a 130W 6-core Ivy-Bridge E which was overclocked to 4.2Ghz with a measly Thermalright True Spirit 120M with some Noctua thermal paste that was 3 year-old and the highest the CPU used to get was 51C.

I know, didn't really monitor for that, maybe all 6/12 cores/threads were not 100% all the time but that was what it was like.

You get "almost 100C" on a 6-core 95W TDP CPU. It is most probably the cooling.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
GTA V is not causing your overheating issues, it's software. Unless the software is causing your temperature monitoring software to produce artificially high numbers (which is most likely is not) then I'd suggest double checking if your water block is mounted properly, the pump is running, your fans are spinning, and that you're using quality thermal paste.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
I recently bought gta v for a new computer I built, so the thermal paste is good, and after around 20 minutes of playing the cpu temp skyrockets to almost 100C on dx11, and around 90 on dx10.

My specs are as follows:
cpu: i7 8700k
gpu: gtx 1070ti
ram: 16gbs 3200
cooler: nzxt kraken x52
psu: 750W 80+ gold

I had an OC of 5 ghz, and decided that it was too much to handle so i just went back to stock frequency. Then I decided to lower the voltage that my cpu was getting to 1.255V, and that helped but it just overheated like 30 mins later. I put msi after burner's OSD on and it is saying a normal cpu usage while playing. I'm really confused as to how this is happening and I'd really appreciate some help.
I'd reset to stock voltage and frequency before anything else.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Even with that cpu, you aren't going to drive a 240mm AIO to 100°C unless there's something seriously wrong somewhere. Don't know if it's the setup, CAM set wrong for fan control, bios settings, pump installation, something.

The only way to find the issue is go through everything, assume nothing is right until verified. The pump should be tight, the lock ring set right, the thermal paste pre-applied is actually very decent paste, but if you forgot to remove the plastic protecting it....

Start from the beginning, physically check everything. Assume nothing.